• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stabilising Resin, Any updates?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
that was an exceptional piece of punky spalted burr horse chestnut, the average is about double or slightly less but it depends on the wood.

is it economical? NO not for me, its a luxury and a bit of enjoyment.

Thanks George I missed this also before makes sense though.

Peter.

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I have used Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser its £150 + delivery for 5kg or £432 for 20kg, got it from Ultraseal International in Coventry. I have used it in a vacuum chamber with very good results.

Robin

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
If I had ordered 2 gal of resin it would be cheaper than buying in Britain

Interesting I wonder how much cheaper it would be if folk came together to make a bulk purchase with Cactus juice and alumilite

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
The cactus juice comes un-catalized ... so just make up what you need

I cut and pasted this from the Aust seller's website, I cant see how unmixed its dangerous and mixed its not.:nooidea:

Please Note:-

Due to import and local shipping requirements this Product is sold and shipped Pre Catalyzed: The product in its catalyzed state has a shelf life of between 6 to 12 Months and longer if stored correctly.

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
This was taken from the Aust distributor web site.

What do you reckon is a more realistic shelf life?

if its kept cool you'll get about 6 months but if its stored in the heat in can be just a few weeks. I remember reading of some resin that was sent from America to Australia that was pre catalysed and it solidified during the journey!!

Chilprufe

Registered
First Name
David
this is what turntex say about it

All gallon and half gallon orders are shipped with the activator in a separate bottle with instructions for mixing. You will need to activate your Cactus Juice before use by simply adding the contents of the activator bottle to your Juice and shaking. Once activated, it has a guaranteed shelf life of 12 months at room temperature or longer if kept refrigerated. "Juice" that is shipped activated by me (pints and quarts) has a guaranteed shelf life of 12 months from when it is shipped.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Has anyone used the D.M wood hardener that Tool post sell?

yes I have, total waste of money :sob:

This is good to know .. :thumbs:

I have some of this D&M Stabilising Resin that I am going to try. I will let you know how I get on. It is not the same as the stuff Toolpost sell. Apparently takes about 2-4 weeks to dry after coming out of the vacuum pot so don't hold your breath for the results.

Oh and in case anyone hadn't noticed TR are now selling Stick Fast resin and catalyst

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Just so you know Turners Retreat are still a couple of weeks away from having any catalyst for the Stickfast resin - spilt cases last time - When it gets to me it will be over 3 months from order :sob: may need to order from the US next time as TR were indicating they may not continue to stock if these issues continue

Chilprufe

Registered
First Name
David
I have just ordered some from TR so we shall see how long it takes to arrive. :praying:

well I ordered from TR about a month ago ... after a week they phoned to say they never had it in stock and it would be about 6-8wks before they were getting it in ... thats why I ordered from turntex.com

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
It really pisses me off when companies do this.:rant::rant:

Quite!! If its not in stock you can't put it on the real shelves in the shop so why put it on the virtual shelves on the website. :vangry:

I got a phonecall yesterday to say they are expecting it "any day now" whatever that means. :nooidea:

Good job I am not in a hurry for it. I need to make my vacuum chamber first.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).