• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Step drill reamer for slimlines

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Separate post to describe a simple ground high speed drill that was thirty plus years ago the only tool sold as a l cleaner, reamer for slimlines.

This is my original one still a beaut snug (slip fit ) these days I square the ends of the blank with a disk sander. I clean each blank from each end before squaring, after glueing and before turning to get that beaut reaming shown on the four blanks in the picture.

The grinding is normal for drill makers to understand the close up shows how the reaming is acheived.

Thimple I hear you say, well I say all our discussions on mandrels, savers, bushes, drills etc all seem so very simple but they are not in practice are they?

Peter

Attachments

• DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 77

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I guess you could say they are as rare as hens teeth.:thinks:

It's surprising what's out there sometimes. :winking:

24b710f206f7b9b4a6b06371ad2fdb6a_zpsimdlchfy.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My adventures in America with the Fuller Company (also of fame as the Fuller Brush Company) I dealt with the owner a Fuller who on their catalogue guaranteed a poofteenth of a nats whisker accuracy in his catalogue for custom ground step drills. I even called in my mate in the nth of America to send him brass sleeves as a go no go guage , several attempts heaps of phyone calls , assurances galore, no accurate result. Just as well I never sent the pictured one on this page heaven alone knows where it would have ended up.

Peter

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
If you had a metal work lathe and a tool post grinder you could in theory grind your own from a standard bit?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).