• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stick fast ca

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Just been watching a video on using Stick Fast Ca and Polishes
Has anyone used it and can you purchase it in the Uk
Glen

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I am not aware of anyone selling it in the UK. Not sure why anyone would, Stickfast does not have a particularly good reputation even amongst CA users.

Just because it is marketed as "CA wood finish" does not mean it has any special qualities and as far as I can see the polishes are just mild abrasives like any other. Options for polishing that are as good or better are available in the UK (e.g.Farecla 300 and 500; Chestnut burnishing cream or even Yorkshire Grit)

If you do want to use CA then you might be better considering a flexible or odourless variety.

This write up by Ed Street on Toni Ransfield's polymer clay website is one of the best informed articles I have seen on the subject of CA. It might help you choose the best product for your requirements. Do bear in mind though that, as with Stickfast, all the brands mentioned may not be available in the UK and you may need to research equivalent products. (e.g.Bob Smith Industries for odourless CA)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The last deviation in CA types was with the flexible it has a short storage life with a rubber mix, My feeling is most CA,s stick fast enough, I choose a medium to give me more time to apply it before it sticks.

For years I have sought out blue towelling with the threads reinforcement for application now using common white kitchen towelling with more success.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
For years I have sought out blue towelling with the threads reinforcement for application now using common white kitchen towelling with more success.

Peter.

Yeh I also find kitchen towel more successful for applying CA, I just use the blue now for cleaning up lol

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Peter. The short shelf life you are talking about, the product, is the BLACK CA. there is a clear rubber byproduct additive that makes CA flexible. Also the odorless CA I mentioned has a 2 year shelf life.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Peter. The short shelf life you are talking about, the product, is the BLACK CA. there is a clear rubber byproduct additive that makes CA flexible. Also the odorless CA I mentioned has a 2 year shelf life.

I was referring to the black Ed have not seen the clear flexible. I choose to use Zap medium and Maxi Products Spray Fixer over any other product I have tried. Most everything is imported into this country and expensive as all get out. I was watching an instructor on TV recently who never uses Fixer and only thin CA he was talking to twenty turners and said at the time he could easily get thirty differing thoughts on the use of CA and fixers or not.I find thin migrates everywhere.

I read the reference and thanks again for the refresh Ed. What is the life of the clear flexible mate.

Peter.

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Keep in mind to that many 'methods' derive from use of stick fast. It. At have been one of the first to be used but due to the inherent problems related to the formula the xxx coats method was born. With more modern formulas the mind numbing micro thin duplicate coats are not needed. I have went out of the way to explain in the article how CA works and how we can best benefit from the formulas used. I do have some updated info to add to it as well. Mostly involving additives.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).