• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stihl Chainsaw

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Finally, don't neglect the depth gauge part of the chain when sharpening. This is the rounded protrusion in front of the tooth. it stops the tooth being too aggressive and ripping into the wood. Most chainsaw stores will sell a depth gauge checker for these.

They use to come with the new machines.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
To follow up peoples points on sharpening - doesn't matter how long the chain is

The point is the longer the chain the more teeth to sharpen so it does matter as its more likely to be kept sharp if its easy and quick to do.

Chillicamper

Registered
First Name
David
The point is the longer the chain the more teeth to sharpen so it does matter as its more likely to be kept sharp if its easy and quick to do.

True. I suppose I was trying to say that I wouldn't choose a chainsaw based on time to sharpen the chain, but on suitability of its size for the work it will be asked to do. The difference between a 14 and 16 inch bar is about one tooth per inch of chain (per side) so it would be about 4 extra teeth, or one minute sharpening.

It's only a real bugger if you have a 3 ft bar and you hit a stone cutting down a stump :rolling: been there, done that before :rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).