• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Still exploring shapes and configurations.

sutdm

Peak district (cheshire, but i'm not a footballer)
First Name
Mark
I realise i'm indulging myself and just using up blanks but i'm really enjoying trying out different ideas. I realise it's a bit like reinventing the wheel but i'm open to suggestions/feedback. Thanks gents for honest/frank opinions

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_160315357.jpg
    IMG_20240107_160315357.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240107_160341542.jpg
    IMG_20240107_160341542.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240107_161919556.jpg
    IMG_20240107_161919556.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240107_161950218.jpg
    IMG_20240107_161950218.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 31

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
You've made nice pens! I have a couple of suggestions about the design:

1. Shorten the cap threads - a lot. Based on the feedback I got from fountain pen collectors/afficionados/users, I aim for between 1 and 2 full turns of the cap to go from "off" to "fully seated".

2. Eliminate the space where you turned away the threads next to the barrel. If you did it because the cap won't screw on all the way (because the threads aren't fully formed in that last millimetre or two), solve the problem by paring away the threads inside the cap (where it's out of sight) rather than having it out in the open.

3. I use fountain pens every day (at least two, loaded with different coloured ink), and have developed an attitude about pen barrels that step down into the cap-threads & nib section. If it's rounded, I can live with it, but a sharp step irritates my thumb and/or finger while I'm writing. My preference is for the cap to be proud of the body, and the body smooth from the nib all the way to the closed end. But that's just me, I know others feel differently about it and rave over a seamless cap & barrel.

As I said - your execution looks to be top-notch, they polished up beautifully. (Did you buff them after sanding?) I look forward to seeing more of your pens.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Nice job! I do like the shape of the first pen.

One thing I’d recommend is to try to get a seamless join between the section and the barrel. There a small gap there which may be because the section isn’t screwed all the way into the barrel or because the shoulder of the section or end of the barrel isn’t square. If it’s the former then it’s likely due to either
1) the female threads inside the barrel aren’t deep enough
2) you need a small rebate at the opening of the barrel to cater for the unavoidable unthreaded area near the shoulder of the sections that the die can’t get to.
3) you’ve chamfered the edge of the barrel tenon to make it easier to thread with the die. I wouldn’t do this, there is no need as the start side of the die (with the writing on) is already tapered to allow it to engage with a square tenon.

One other thing I would try to avoid is that turned down area behind the cap threads on the barrel. If you are doing that to allow clearance for the cap to turn all the way on then better to make a small rebate in the cap. If it’s for aesthetic purposes then it looks a lot better (in my opinion) if that area is the same diameter as the major diameter of the threads, rather than the minor diameter. Some makers have an unthreaded area because they want to make their caps post deeply onto the back of the pen so the threads in the cap start much deeper inside than usual.

But these are fairly small things, so keep up the good work.

Cheers
Ash

sutdm

Peak district (cheshire, but i'm not a footballer)
First Name
Mark
As I said - your execution looks to be top-notch, they polished up beautifully. (Did you buff them after sanding?) I look forward to seeing more of your pens.
Thanks for the encouragement. I wet sanded to 600grit then used buffing wheels (brown then white, don't know the brand as i found them in a rusty puddle after ten years of less than ideal storage but gave them a go) Advice from Ash and, i'm sure, others.

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Advice from Ash and, i'm sure, others.
Can't go wrong following advice from Ash!

Oh - I think you'd recognize the background pic on my phone. Not the people in it (me, my wife, and one of our best friends) but the location - we are standing by a signpost in Edale - Grindsbrook off to the right, Pennine Way straight ahead.

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Can't see the pic i'm afraid Duncan
That's because it's on my phone ... over here, see ... :whistling:

Sorry - I meant to write "if you could see the background photo on my phone, you'd probably recognize it - it's the start of the Pennine Way in Edale". My fingers don't always type what my brain tells them, and even when they do my brain gets foggy in the evenings.