• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Streamline with Snakewood and CA finish

Melchior

First Name
Emil
First a pic:
snakewood.jpg

This was difficult to turn, i messed up when truing up the ends a bit off made the whole mandrel wobble a bit when I tightened up the mandrel. So I had to fiddle around to get it to align with the bushings properly (I really need a new lathe).
CA finish did not turn out perfect this time, I can see tiny marks from the sanding. I guess I need to go to about 800 grit before I apply CA.

I also had a crack in the wood, it is small but annoying.

Fun project though, fourth pen I have made. Looking for better and more efficient ways to apply a good finish.

Regards,
Emil

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Nice bit of Snakewood Emil - well done. Snakewood is notorious for cracking I'm afraid, and you may not have seen the last of them yet. Don't be disheartened if it does crack some more though - that is the nature of the wood, not anything you've done wrong.

You can eliminate sanding marks by sanding with the grain with the lathe stopped, then burnish the wood with the shavings as a last process before applying your chosen finish.

Keep at it - you're doing a good job, and despite the problems you had with it, that's a good looking pen.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have a 15yrs made Snakewood Pen, no worries. It requires being dry and care, I find true African Ebony more prone to splitting.

Love your pen Emil.

Peter

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
A lot of wasted effort with snakewood. You make a beautiful pen & a short while later it splits. Been there a few times & as Phil says, nowt you can do about it. Keep up the good work Emil.:thumbs:

Melchior

First Name
Emil
Thank you all for your input. Will consider this pen a test project then. :) see what happens to it. It was a nice wood to turn, nice shavings.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Gregory Hardy

Graduate Member
First Name
Greg
You told me everything that was wrong with the pen, but you skipped right past, "Holy cow - this is really a handsome pen!" Tasteful lines. Nice shape. Hang in there. (And shop around for some more user-friendly woods...there are only about a million of them to choose from!) Great pen. Keep turning!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).