• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stuck Tailstock

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Not happy today - went out to work on my competition pen last night, to find my tailstock quill had seized solid. With a bit of not so gentle persuasion I managed to wind it forward, but there is definitely something wrong in there. Last time I was used it, the handwheel spun freely as usual, so I have no idea what may have caused this sudden shift.

Phoned Record Power, the man there told me how to take it apart to see if there is any thread damage or any burrs there, although I don't really see how there could be.

Looks like I may not get my competition entry in though this month :vangry::sob:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I had it happen to me Alan once. I contacted Record and they told me how to strip it down. After stripping down I could not identify any problems ? I cleaned and reassembled the tail stock and it worked fine and I have not had a problem since. But I couldn't tell you what was originally wrong with it

:thinks:

Louie_Powell

Apprentice Member
First Name
Louie
Had a similar experience. I found that the problem was that the quill had twisted a bit in the tailstock, with the result that the grub screw that locks the quill in position was no longer riding in the center of the machined groove in the side of the quill. And as a result, tightening the grub screw against the edge of that groove caused deformation in the edge. Once I got it apart, I smoothed down the edge of the groove with a file. That fixed the problem

To prevent it from happening again, I try to keep the grub screw just loose enough to allow the quill to move in and out, but not so loose that it can twist so that the grub screw touches the edge of the groove.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My experience was similar the alignment in the thrust was intermittently twisting inside. I also remember talking at length on Skype with Mark when his tailstock shat itself in this way. It is not immediately apparent when you strip it. When you consider the torture we put the tail stock through they do a remarkable function.

Peter.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Had a similar experience. I found that the problem was that the quill had twisted a bit in the tailstock, with the result that the grub screw that locks the quill in position was no longer riding in the center of the machined groove in the side of the quill. And as a result, tightening the grub screw against the edge of that groove caused deformation in the edge. Once I got it apart, I smoothed down the edge of the groove with a file. That fixed the problem

This is not uncommon, it's happened to me as well but luckily no damage caused.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Well, I haven't been able to get it apart. The only way I can turn the handle to move the quill is by clamping it with a pair of mole grips to give myself leverage. I can't remove the grub screw that runs in the groove, as it just won't budge past a certain point (moves about 60 Degrees).

The man at Record Power told me to wind it forward to take the spindle out, but I can't see how it can come out that way - surely the grub screw will get stuck on the threads at the back of the quill? Winding it backwards only goes so far before refusing to budge.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It sounds like the grub screw has a damaged thread that's why it doesn't want to come out, try winding it in and out to try and re-cut the damage part of the thread. The quill on my Axminster lathe will come out if I wind it forward to the maximum when it will disengage from the screw and can be pulled out. Be careful using mole grips you may break something that will cost a few bob to renew.

Peter

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Ya don't need a tailstock for a closed end pen.:whistling:

I do like a bit more support though! :tongue:

It sounds like the grub screw has a damaged thread that's why it doesn't want to come out, try winding it in and out to try and re-cut the damage part of the thread. The quill on my Axminster lathe will come out if I wind it forward to the maximum when it will disengage from the screw and can be pulled out. Be careful using mole grips you may break something that will cost a few bob to renew.

Peter

The mole grips are only clamping onto the hand wheel - got a few marks so far, but nothing I can't smooth out and repaint.

I don't think the grub screw is shifting - tried to move it both ways (just in case), my long arm allen key flexed about 60 degrees before I gave up for fear of twisting it.

The lathe is a Record Power CL3 (not the new 2MT one that just came out, it is a couple of years old).

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I do like a bit more support though! :tongue:

The mole grips are only clamping onto the hand wheel - got a few marks so far, but nothing I can't smooth out and repaint.

I don't think the grub screw is shifting - tried to move it both ways (just in case), my long arm allen key flexed about 60 degrees before I gave up for fear of twisting it.

The lathe is a Record Power CL3 (not the new 2MT one that just came out, it is a couple of years old).

I would be tempted to ask Record to have a look at it rather than run the risk of breaking anything.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Belt it in the bin rather than butcher it. Now go to Record and let them prove the product can be repaired but soon the rest is conjecture. I feel for you its very disconcerting mate

Peter.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Looking at the spindle, it does appear that the groove is slightly turned - looks like a correct diagnosis from you guys!

I will call Record Power again, see what they say.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).