• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Support for hood

Burt25

First Name
Ian
I assume I'm not trying anything new here?- from what I've read online a lot of turners seem to be using camvacs to successfully extract the dust from their lathes?

That is a concern as your cam vac unit is 108 lts/sec works out at 388 m3/h when most HVLP units start at twice that volume. (base calcs on 1lt/sec at 3.6 m3/h)

You can only try it out and see what happens but would be interested in what you get.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
low pressure high volume- the bag type extractor, usually for chips, e.g. off a planer thicknesser
high pressure low volume- the vacuum cleaner type extractor- usually for fine dust from saws, routers etc
Chip extractors (fan units) are the Low Pressure High Volume (LPHV)
The Vacuume units are normally High Pressure Low Volume (HPLV)
The vacumme units normally have the high filtration rates filtering out fine dust.
The fan systems normally have the bags with low fiktration rates and don't take out the fine dust. Filter cartridges are available but do effect the flow rates through the fan systems.
Hope that helps phill.
Edit.. Doubled with Mark, same answer tho.. There is another option for fan systems, put a cyclone on it!
LPHV = Low pressure high volume; this is not the usual abbreviation however it is normally the other way round. HVLP (High volume low pressure)
HPLV = High pressure low volume.
Edit: Crossed with the two previous posts. :rolling:
Thank you gents

I assume I'm not trying anything new here?- from what I've read online a lot of turners seem to be using camvacs to successfully extract the dust from their lathes?
Yes, I do - a twin motor, but the intake funnel I use is much smaller than the one shown in this thread.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.

Definitely not trying anything new, loads of us have even down that route and the cam vac unit is a good unit.

However, the hood design you have selected will be too big and you will need to modify it to be effective.

The cam vac is a good unit provided it's only used for one unit only and not in a piped fixed system.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess

Camvacs are very good though id recommend some sort of separator between your hood & vac as the filters will block very quickly particularly when sanding, a cyclone or Thien separator will save you loads of time & effort by removing most of the waste before it reaches your vacuum.
If it's of any interest my separator build s here http://www.penturners.co.uk/your-tips-and-jigs/2939-thien-separator-build.html?highlight=Thien

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Using this type of Vacuum I cover the vacs filter with panty hose (new) cheap as. This assists together with the essential IMHO by pass diversion.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I have been in the cave today and have given up with my microphone bendy neck thingy majig..

It was superb when it was new, but since its been bent around a few times its slowly dropping.:sob:

Going to have to nick this idea and get myself one of those arms.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).