• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Table Saw Vs Bandsaw

Pete B

Registered
Hi Jim,

i thought i posted this the other day, pressed wrong button perhaps.

I have had a few table saws from clarke (machinemart) and the last one was a Makita something100. None workshop standard if you know what i mean but thought the Makita would have been accurate, it wasn't and there was a bit of blade wobble which Axminster told to remedy by using some paper shims, which i did with no success. But i sold it as it was not accurate enough, and i tuned it.

I'm not an expert so i followed a book to tune in the same way i did for bandsaws.

I started off with a farm/fern small bandsaw and very cheap and under powered but tuned with a good blade still cut veneers.
Its been at my brother in Law's in Ireland as he uses it for cutting rubber pipe and whenever i go over i cut lots of bog oak and beech so its still going strong and it was cheap.
Then went up to an Axminster white series bigger one, it stood on its own metal storage box, much better, but still under powered for anything thicker than 5 inches or so accurately. Good with alternate set blades for green wood though.

I still needed a bigger one that would make life easier especially when i cut up very thick green blanks which i do quite often so i bought a white series floor standing version.
Tuned up it cuts green timber to quite large sizes, good veneers with a meat and fish blade, but even at this size and price the fence etc are really not that accurate which is annoying but most things come from China and to have a bandsaw where everything is accurate with minimal tuning i think you would need to pay lots more than i did.
So this one does small stuff well and after some messing around, small items with accuracy. Cut a lot of tulip spindles recently with no blade wander at all and quickly.

The other thing i have to think of is space. The capacity a bandsaw can cut with its small footprint compared to a table saw, the difference is vast.

Its a bandsaw for me everytime and if i didn't have to cut very big stuff from time to time i would be able to manage well with a much smaller one.

Regards

Pete

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Pete, it is annoying when you have machines that do not cut accurately for the work you do .. :down:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
Sharon, at 452 lbs. that is some saw ... :thumbs:

They put it in the truck with a forklift. When we got it home, we opened the box in the truck and took it apart and took it out piecemeal and put it back together again. The granite alone weighs at least a hundred pounds. But it doesn't vibrate, doesn't warp, doesn't rust!:thumbs:

Sharon

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).