• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tempest Video

L33

First Name
Lee
Hi Phil...

As promised, the link to the Tempest Video.

Its not a tutorial...Im not experienced enough yet to be handing out advice on pen making...its purely the process I went through making the pen and a place where you can see it being assembled and shown, which some people have asked me for.

In addition, if there is anything on there which you can pick up...good or bad...feel free to say...constructive criticism is something I like.
Turning a Wooden Pen - The Beaufort Ink Tempest Click Pen Kit - YouTube

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Great video.
Why have I not thought of putting a pad under the pocket clip to stop it scratching? a new technique/lesson learnt. :banana:

Thanks
Simon

L33

First Name
Lee
Great video.
Why have I not thought of putting a pad under the pocket clip to stop it scratching? a new technique/lesson learnt. :banana:

Thanks
Simon

:thumbs: Ive cut loads of these rubber pads...and like pencils...you can never find one when you need it most! :)

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Great video.

Thanks
Simon

Just cut up a straw into 1 1/2" pieces and you have loads of anti-scratch:thumbs:

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Loved the Video. I have worries about gloves like that and drilling I have seen the evidence of a catch that resulted in serious injury.

Your video was extremely professional, explanations ,wonderfully illustrated along the way, just full of ideas and hints. Phil will be delerious.

Thankyou.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee
Loved the Video. I have worries about gloves like that and drilling I have seen the evidence of a catch that resulted in serious injury.

Your video was extremely professional, explanations ,wonderfully illustrated along the way, just full of ideas and hints. Phil will be delerious.

Thankyou.

Peter.

I try not to wear gloves were possible...especially around the lathe...sanding etc (unless its those nitrile type gloves that rip really easy) but, as luck has it, Im allergic to wood haha! So I do wear them where risk is lower...but I do agree with you...I too have seen glove catches around machines.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
A nice little video Lee, but I must echo the no gloves comment. I have had a few problems with using a pen mill on olive wood, with the edges of the grain just pulling out, despite having a sharpened pen mill. I went to sanding the end as advised by others on here.
I also find it helpful to put a little plug of plasticine in the end of the tube before pushing it in to glue, just to stop any glue getting inside the tube. Didn't notice if you did that but that's another little tip gleaned from the forum that I have found really helpful.

L33

First Name
Lee
A nice little video Lee, but I must echo the no gloves comment. I have had a few problems with using a pen mill on olive wood, with the edges of the grain just pulling out, despite having a sharpened pen mill. I went to sanding the end as advised by others on here.
I also find it helpful to put a little plug of plasticine in the end of the tube before pushing it in to glue, just to stop any glue getting inside the tube. Didn't notice if you did that but that's another little tip gleaned from the forum that I have found really helpful.

I had a little trouble myself with the pen mill this time...but mainly because it was blunt. I got the set from Axminster and it's crap to say the least. Out of desperation I used my Tormek to grind it and surprisingly it worked...I'm new to sharpening so it was a proud moment :)

There was a fair bit of glue in the barrel which didn't make the edit... ;) so I may just try the plasticine trick.

It's a tricky one with the gloves. I cringe sometimes when I see other people wearing gloves near machinery but then I go and do it myself. But in all honesty, if my hands are going to be what I class as close proximity to a spinning part I usually do take them off, or wear rippable gloves instead. Problem is, I have a wood allergy so wood isn't always kind to my skin. So when possible, I wear gloves which also stop grease and dirt too. But overall...I agree, it's safer not to wear them...

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I had a little trouble myself with the pen mill this time...but mainly because it was blunt. I got the set from Axminster and it's crap to say the least. Out of desperation I used my Tormek to grind it and surprisingly it worked...I'm new to sharpening so it was a proud moment :)

How did you do this, on the side of the grindstone?

L33

First Name
Lee
How did you do this, on the side of the grindstone?

Yeah, very carefully did it freehand. Had to be careful because first contact caused a little catch, but at the speed the Tormek spins it's not too much concern. Once I got the placement correct, it was fairly simple to do and was well worth doing. I almost threw it away as it wasn't much good out of the box, but once sharpened it was alright.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I use a Trend diamond credit card to sharpen mine only takes a few minutes although I use my sander more now.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek

There was a fair bit of glue in the barrel which didn't make the edit... ;) so I may just try the plasticine trick.

It's a tricky one with the gloves. I cringe sometimes when I see other people wearing gloves near machinery but then I go and do it myself. But in all honesty, if my hands are going to be what I class as close proximity to a spinning part I usually do take them off, or wear rippable gloves instead. Problem is, I have a wood allergy so wood isn't always kind to my skin. So when possible, I wear gloves which also stop grease and dirt too. But overall...I agree, it's safer not to wear them...

I would stick to the latex type gloves as you say they are easy to rip off you hands and for allergies will stop more than the ones in the video. By the way a good video but I agree with some of the comments what I use which most people have in the house to block up the tubes is potato just push the tube in and it stop the glue I tend to nick the small ones you get in a sack.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Excellent video Lee, I can't get over how clean your lathe is? :goesred:

I know mine isn't that old but it's got quite a bit of splatter and glue marks over the spinning bit..:thinks:

I won't say anything about the gloves bit, seems as enough has got on the BW as it is.:tongue:

As for methods of pen making, we are all different and do specifics their own way. That's what makes us all different, did I learn anything? Yes, not to wear gloves :face: and to wrap my lathe in cotton wool.:face:

Seriously, great video and nice to see how others turn their pens.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).