• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tempest with Aussie Burr

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This is a Gunmetal Tempest with some kind of Aussie Burr, to me it is reminiscent of Oak. The top barrel has great figuring and the figuring in the bottom barrel was turned away, unfortunately.

Peter

VIS_0034.jpg
VIS_0035.jpg
VIS_0036.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A good looking pen with a superb finish Peter, the wood has a very close resemblance to Mesquite Burr .. :thumbs:

Thanks for that, it was a blank I got from Aussie Burl. I just looked at the link and it does look it. I have just looked up mesquite in OZ and it is considered a pest. so it may well be mesquite.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A good looking pen with a superb finish Peter, the wood has a very close resemblance to Mesquite Burr .. :thumbs:

Jim, I have never seen Mesquite timber in Australia. One of the living experts using Mesquite timber is Curtis Seebeck who has used this tree milled by him on his property to built an out of the world beautiful house for himself on his land. I will ask my legend treefeller soon (I expect to see him visiting me with timber) who knows more about Aussie trees than anyone I have met.

I have heard of a likeness to Tasmanian Blackwood. This tree is easily identified by the shimmer it creates when finished as a silk tie ,a certain chatoyance.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks for that, it was a blank I got from Aussie Burl. I just looked at the link and it does look it. I have just looked up mesquite in OZ and it is considered a pest. so it may well be mesquite.

Peter

Peter it would be best to check with the guy that sold you the timber for identification, he is sure to know.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).