• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The end of an era and the start of a new one

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
I want to say a very big public thank you to Buckeye and Vic Perrin for their help in recent months.

When Jim passed the reigns of the Forum to me last year, both Peter and Vic very kindly agreed to continue in his roles as moderators. In Peter's case, despite health issues, he agreed to stay on until the end of the year, even though he only took on the role in the first place as a personal favour to Jim.

The time has come to give you the gold clock Peter, which I do with my sincere gratitude for your help, guidance and input over the last several months, and not least of all for your excellent work and attention to detail in organising the Forum competitions throughout the last year. I know that you will remain an active member of the forum, but you can now do so at your leisure, and I'm sure I don't speak out of turn when I say we all look forward to the time when you can get back in your workshop and show us a thing or two as to how it should be done.

In the meantime, I'm pleased to say that Vic continues as a Moderator, and I'm also able to announce that he is joined in that role as of today by one Walter Hall. I am sure you will all wish to join me in thanking Peter for his diligence and hard work, in welcoming Walter to his new role, and in supporting both Vic and Walter in their roles, which they do on an entirely voluntary basis.

Both Vic and Walter have very big sticks to wag, so my suggestion is don't annoy them, and with Walter now in the fold you may want to get your apostrophes in the right place too.

My best wishes for a happy new year to one and all on the Forum - let's see where 2017 takes us.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thank you for your kind introduction Phil, I am honoured to be given the opportunity to help you and Vic out with forum moderation.

This forum always had an easy going light touch to moderation when Jim was the sole proprieter and admin and I intend to adopt a similar style. I may have a big stick but I hope not to have to use it very often. The few things I won't tolerate are insults, abuse and bullying, and of course spam. Grammar and punctuation are matters that I will not be interfering in, merely ranking you all based on your use of them. :whistling:

Oh, just one other thing, moderators aren't all about waving big sticks, so if you have a forum related problem feel free to PM one of us and we will do what we can to help.

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
My thanks too. I might not be the most prolific poster or pen-maker, but I really appreciate the generosity of those who take on the organisation and running of the forum. Have a great new year!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Whos this Walter guy never herd of him is he gud at spellsing lark.

Well done Walter. And good that Vic is still carrying on. Sorry that Peter has to give up but hope him all the best.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
A big thank you to Peter for his stirling work in organising the competitions & a big thank you to him & Vic for helping to keep the forum running.
Welcome back Walter, I'm used to your style of moderating & look forward to it.
Phil, if someone doesn't annoy Walter he'll soon become bored so we have to keep his interest.:ciggrin:
Thanks for staying on Vic.:thumbs:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Phil, if someone doesn't annoy Walter he'll soon become bored so we have to keep his interest.:ciggrin:
Bill, its easy to annoy Walter. The lack of apostrophe in my second word here will have been enough. And we don't want no double negatives neither.:devil:
Friction polish? - Oh I'm very accomplished at friction. I've been polishing my technique for years. He won't get bored I promise.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
So the forum moves into a new phase, with Vic, Walter & Phil involved, we have three people who command a great deal of respect amongst our pen turning community, I can only see it continuing to flourish.

The forum has been a great place of inspiration & learning in the three short years I have been turning pens. "The PenTurners Forum" remains my number one go-to, when I need help.

The learning curve continues :thinks::thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks Phil, I was actually in the garage today and everything went as wrong as it could, I haven't stood in front of a lathe for quite a while and was cream crackered when I finally called it a day. I look forward to making pens again and if I can get one done before the deadline I will enter the competition.

Peter

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Thanks Phil, I was actually in the garage today and everything went as wrong as it could, I haven't stood in front of a lathe for quite a while and was cream crackered when I finally called it a day. I look forward to making pens again and if I can get one done before the deadline I will enter the competition.

Peter

Don't matter Peter you went there that's the thing, I don't get much time to get in the sheds what with looking after the wife, but when i do get to it always makes me feel better and things start to get right again mate, look forward to seeing your pens again!:thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
A big thank you to all of you from me, It must be a nightmare keeping an eye on us lot..:rolling:

Especially to Walter, picking up the chalice to keep us all in tow.

The only thing I worry about is

"isn't a retired bean counter just the same as a reformed smoker"

:funny::funny::funny:

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Good Luck Peter, thank you :thumbs:

Hello Vic ... nothing better to do ? :funny:

Walter ... :rolling: .... Yas Sir, Oil bee goud ...

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
* Happy retirement Peter.

* Good on yer Vic though I've long suspected it's the pups who actually do the moderating.

* Great gesture in taking on the role Walter but that's me bu**ered what wiv the bad langwige and gramma ah'm in diep s**t.,

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I would also like to extend my thanks and appreciation to Peter and indeed to all those involved. I find the forum a goldmine of information, even if sometimes the humour passes me by. ( probably because I lead a sheltered life). No seriously the role of moderator is a essential if sometimes thankless task and I applaud anyone who is prepared to take it on. I have seen a number of other forums ( or should it be fora?) degenerate to the extend of becoming useless simply because there was no moderation. This can be simply due to bad manners on line or in some cases just poor organisation. Either way I think we all owe a great deal to our moderators and I would just like them to know that their efforts are appreciated.
Happy New Year to one and all. Allen

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).