• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The Forum software being updated shortly - please read

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I know it's a long post, but please have a read of this - it's important

new software2.jpg

The software behind the Penturners Forum is changing, because the current platform is decidedly archaic!

Back in the day, vBulletin was the best of the bunch. It's the software that has powered the Forum since the start, and is what Jim handed over to me to look after when he decided to retire from forum life. However, that was before the incredible advancement in technology which has happened in recent years, not least of all, the advancement in mobile phone technology.

Time and technology marches on, and these days, quite frankly there is much, much better software available.

vBulletin is temperamental, slow, cumbersome, and distinctly unfriendly towards mobiles. Rather than continue to shore it up and keep fighting an endless battle to keep it running as smoothly as possible, I've decided to just bight the bullet and migrate the Forum to brand new software, which will be taking place in the next few days. The new software is produced by XenForo, which many people who are members of other forums may well already be familiar with.

What will that mean for everyone who uses this Forum?

Well, for starters, it'll be stable, well behaved and faster. It will also be HTTPS, which is to say that it'll have a secure SSL certificate - something that I've been conscious of the Forum needing for a long while. The current platform is incapable of supporting HTTPS without losing much of it's functionality, but the new XenForo software fully supports it, which means that your login information and your personal details will be much, much more secure.

It will also be mobile friendly (Yay!), so if you're one of those people who prefers to access the internet on your phone, or you live with a phone welded to the palm of your hand, the Penturners Forum will be accessible in a responsive mobile format for the first time.

Anything else?

As far as most members are concerned, not a lot to be honest. The biggest and most obvious change will be the appearance, and the way we navigate it to get from A to B. That's going to be a change for me too, and there'll be something of a learning curve for all of us. It won't take long to get used to though, and the important thing is that the good old Penturners Forum will still be there underneath it all - all our threads and posts will still be there, all our images and archives, all our private messages, all our user names. They'll all still be there, we've just got to learn our way around it, that's all.

It will provide too, the opportunity to open up some new and exciting things I hope. So far, I've only had the test software to play around with, and I'll have to wait until the new platform goes live before I can fully get to grips with its capabilities, but the priority will be for us all to find our way around the place. It's going to be a bit like being in the same room, but after someone's re-arranged some of the furniture.

Will it need a new login?

No, it shouldn't do - it'll remember all our usernames, and I believe it will also remember our passwords. However, I'm sure that most people currently remain logged in permanently, (either that or their PC does the logging in for them), so there's a good chance that many people won't remember their own username or password without a prompt. We'll all probably need to log in from scratch on our first visit after the new software goes live, therefore, to be on the safe side, it would be a good idea to make a note of your username and password now, and keep it somewhere safe.

When will it happen?

It's being worked on now, so it'll happen sometime in the coming days. I'll give you a bit of notice nearer the time though if I can, and when it does happen, the Forum will probably be offline for 2 or 3 hours, (or possibly a bit longer if the switch-over doesn't go as smoothly as those doing the migration think it will).

Exciting times though, I hope you'll agree, and I'll keep you all in the loop as much as I can - I'll certainly try to give you as much notice as I can before the big event.

And after the big event, I'm absolutely certain there will be a great many opinions and suggestions, which it goes without saying I'll be keen to hear. It's true that I administrate it, but as I've said many times in the past, this is everybody's Forum, and everyone's opinion is a valid one, so don't be shy when the time comes.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Keeping up with the times, Phil.

I read the thread and all that I understood was that the software is changing!!!

That's about the long and short of it Alan. It's just that I don't want you to log in one day and be surprised that everything looks different than it did the day before.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I know things need to keep up todate my only question is will uploading photos remain the same nice and easy or will the new system require to use one of the photo hosting sites which I personally find a pain in the rear end

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I know things need to keep up todate my only question is will uploading photos remain the same nice and easy or will the new system require to use one of the photo hosting sites which I personally find a pain in the rear end

You'll be able to upload photos directly from your PC or phone, the same as you do now Derek, and you can also choose to upload from media sites if you prefer. You can choose whichever option suits you best.

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
You'll be able to upload photos directly from your PC or phone, the same as you do now Derek, and you can also choose to upload from media sites if you prefer. You can choose whichever option suits you best.

Are but will the new software rotate the image ? which would help some of us on here ?

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Are but will the new software rotate the image �� which would help some of us on here ��

Ha ha. I've been wondering about that myself. I think we might have to wait and see, but my money is on the fact that XenForo has much better manners than vBulletin.

One thing's for sure though, that catches people out more often than you think, which is that thread titles don't like characters such as apostrophes, or symbols such as percentages. That won't change - it's not the software that's at fault on those occasions, it's the fact that computery stuff interprets things like that as coding, and it buggers up everything else as a result. Very often, if people struggle to upload a photo for instance, it's because there's a "special character" in the thread title.

akirk

First Name
Alasdair
good news - xenforo is good software...
the photo rotation is often an iphone issue and it is to do with how it sets its orientation flag in the photo v. how you hold the camera to take the photo - it is a flakey techy issue in iphones which is an absolute pain to read and act on in software... so no guarantees I suspect!

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
the photo rotation is often an iphone issue and it is to do with how it sets its orientation flag in the photo v. how you hold the camera to take the photo - it is a flakey techy issue in iphones which is an absolute pain to read and act on in software... so no guarantees I suspect!

Thanks for that Alasdair. I knew it was an iPhone issue, but I thought it only affects older phones - is that right? (I suspect you know a great deal more about this than me)

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
The IAP switched over to it a year or two ago. It is a good forum software once you get used to a few minor differences like private messages are called conversations for instance. I use an iPhone and once the picture rotation issue sprung up a few years ago I took to editing my pictures in some small way and then saving them. Then they display correctly. I'm not so good that my pictures don't need cropping at the least anyway so no big chore. I'm not dreading the change.:thumbs:

Pete

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I think you’ll find that it’s a user issue. I’ve never had a problem with any of my iPhones (or iPads) but then I hold them up the right way - Lens at the top, and take 99% of my photos in landscape mode.

hakweyefxr

Apprentice Member
First Name
Ken
I know it's a long post, but please have a read of this - it's important

View attachment 46376

The software behind the Penturners Forum is changing, because the current platform is decidedly archaic!

Back in the day, vBulletin was the best of the bunch. It's the software that has powered the Forum since the start, and is what Jim handed over to me to look after when he decided to retire from forum life. However, that was before the incredible advancement in technology which has happened in recent years, not least of all, the advancement in mobile phone technology.

Time and technology marches on, and these days, quite frankly there is much, much better software available.

vBulletin is temperamental, slow, cumbersome, and distinctly unfriendly towards mobiles. Rather than continue to shore it up and keep fighting an endless battle to keep it running as smoothly as possible, I've decided to just bight the bullet and migrate the Forum to brand new software, which will be taking place in the next few days. The new software is produced by XenForo, which many people who are members of other forums may well already be familiar with.

What will that mean for everyone who uses this Forum?

Well, for starters, it'll be stable, well behaved and faster. It will also be HTTPS, which is to say that it'll have a secure SSL certificate - something that I've been conscious of the Forum needing for a long while. The current platform is incapable of supporting HTTPS without losing much of it's functionality, but the new XenForo software fully supports it, which means that your login information and your personal details will be much, much more secure.

It will also be mobile friendly (Yay!), so if you're one of those people who prefers to access the internet on your phone, or you live with a phone welded to the palm of your hand, the Penturners Forum will be accessible in a responsive mobile format for the first time.

Anything else?

As far as most members are concerned, not a lot to be honest. The biggest and most obvious change will be the appearance, and the way we navigate it to get from A to B. That's going to be a change for me too, and there'll be something of a learning curve for all of us. It won't take long to get used to though, and the important thing is that the good old Penturners Forum will still be there underneath it all - all our threads and posts will still be there, all our images and archives, all our private messages, all our user names. They'll all still be there, we've just got to learn our way around it, that's all.

It will provide too, the opportunity to open up some new and exciting things I hope. So far, I've only had the test software to play around with, and I'll have to wait until the new platform goes live before I can fully get to grips with its capabilities, but the priority will be for us all to find our way around the place. It's going to be a bit like being in the same room, but after someone's re-arranged some of the furniture.

Will it need a new login?

No, it shouldn't do - it'll remember all our usernames, and I believe it will also remember our passwords. However, I'm sure that most people currently remain logged in permanently, (either that or their PC does the logging in for them), so there's a good chance that many people won't remember their own username or password without a prompt. We'll all probably need to log in from scratch on our first visit after the new software goes live, therefore, to be on the safe side, it would be a good idea to make a note of your username and password now, and keep it somewhere safe.

When will it happen?

It's being worked on now, so it'll happen sometime in the coming days. I'll give you a bit of notice nearer the time though if I can, and when it does happen, the Forum will probably be offline for 2 or 3 hours, (or possibly a bit longer if the switch-over doesn't go as smoothly as those doing the migration think it will).

Exciting times though, I hope you'll agree, and I'll keep you all in the loop as much as I can - I'll certainly try to give you as much notice as I can before the big event.

And after the big event, I'm absolutely certain there will be a great many opinions and suggestions, which it goes without saying I'll be keen to hear. It's true that I administrate it, but as I've said many times in the past, this is everybody's Forum, and everyone's opinion is a valid one, so don't be shy when the time comes.
Thanks for keeping us/me informed, to say that was above my head is an understatement,more like in the stratosphere. Still thanks all the same.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Phil

a bit late on reading this but I guess you are due a big vote of thanks and best wishes from us all for the hard work involved.

Happy , Healthy and successful new year to you and yours

Ian

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Thanks for the heads up and all your hard work keeping the forum alive. Made some friends here unfortunately not personally but friends all the same. Haven't done anything for three weeks due to holidays. Also moving trees around in my garden as my new shed arrives next week so have to sort out electric and lights. Then I can move my new lathe into it and start turning from home. I will still have to cut and drill blanks at the Men's Shed I go to at present...