• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The magic of burl wood

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Pure beauty Rod, you certainly have made some lovely pens there :thumbs:

I'm very surprised though that you haven't been picked up for saying burl instead of burr.

RodN

First Name
Rod
Yes, that is simply WOW, where do you even get a piece of Thuya like that? I'd love to turn something else in Thuya but I've only ever seen pen blanks over here.

A few months ago I was in Marrakesh (Morocco).... and that's where Thuya wood comes from.
I couldn't resist getting a few pieces.

This guy was sitting beside the road.... turning chess pieces and bowls .... and I did a bit of bartering for some of the wood.

m2.jpg

He does it by holding a skew chisel between his toes!

m1.jpg

RodN

First Name
Rod
Pure beauty Rod, you certainly have made some lovely pens there :thumbs:

I'm very surprised though that you haven't been picked up for saying burl instead of burr.

OK... OK... I'll change my ways.
:tongue:

Problem is..... many of my customers are American, and they don't understand the English word. :whistling:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
This guy was sitting beside the road.... turning chess pieces and bowls .... and I did a bit of bartering for some of the wood.

m2.jpg

He does it by holding a skew chisel between his toes!

Rod, did you put a video of him on Youtube by any chance? I watched it a while ago and was gobsmacked. I can't even get my toes into socks without a fight, let alone create beautiful art ... :rolling::rolling:

RodN

First Name
Rod
No... I didn't get a video. (He would have wanted more money).

But I am not surprised that someone else did though.

Rod

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).