• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The secret's out and people are buying!

steveisfound

Registered
First Name
Steve
Hi all

If you have seen any of my posts, you will know I am new to this pen turning (well.. woodturning in general really) lark and have become addicted!

My daughters said that I should "come out" on facebook at let my friends etc know about my addiction (and turning journey)....

Well.. I only use facebook really to see how my very extended family are doing generally and do not usually post much (cannot see why I would thank someone for a meal on FB... when I can just say thanks over the table!)

After much pushing and prodding from my girls... I have shared the fact that I have this new hobby and am sharing my journey with my friends... uploading photos of the things I turn, whenever I get the chance to turn....

Low and behold... shock.. horror... I received numerous public messages of support, along with quite a few private messages asking if I ever sell the things I make...specifically...pens!

Now, I never even considered selling these things I enjoy making as my hobby.... and to be honest... not really calculated what this hobby costs me (which would probably scare me..... tools...supplies etc.. lol)....

So after looking at various posts on here... and actually looking at what the kits, blanks, finishes etc... cost....I had a rough idea what to charge... but I thought I would ask what they would be prepared to pay for said items...as I hadn't made them with the intention to sell etc....but would be nice to recoup some of the costs of my hobby... Well I was shocked at the overall prices that people said they were prepared to pay for a unique handmade pen! (much higher than I thought myself)... maybe they didn't want to insult me and offer low £££'s?

Anyway.... I settled on what I thought was a reasonable price for the slimline and sierra pens... and have just sold the lot! - now have more funds for my hobby!

Just thought I would share this, as it was a by-product of a wonderful hobby, that I truly didn't expect!

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Well done Steve, it's a great feeling isn't it when somebody wants to buy your stuff? Your in it now, up to your tailstock. :thumbs::funny::funny:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well done Steve, all good news and filling a corner of the market where no one had filled..:thumbs:

Keep t up, and by the way, if anyone wants to pay you loads of money for the crafted pens then take it.. if you always accept low prices that is all you will be known for.

So keep the prices up and be known for a quality product at the right price rather than someone who sells cheap pens.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
As a father of five daughters and one son I know about family pressure in the nicest way. Happy for your success. What a boost so early in.

Peter.

steveisfound

Registered
First Name
Steve
Well done Steve, all good news and filling a corner of the market where no one had filled..:thumbs:

Keep t up, and by the way, if anyone wants to pay you loads of money for the crafted pens then take it.. if you always accept low prices that is all you will be known for.

So keep the prices up and be known for a quality product at the right price rather than someone who sells cheap pens.

Thanks Eamonn!

I sold them for prices lower than they suggested/offered as I felt they were being over generous to me as an individual (friends and family) as opposed to someone producing commercially. That said - after looking at the suggestions on here re prices, they were sold in the £15-£25 price range. They were really happy with the prices/pens and I was comfortable with charging those amounts also...

Have now been asked if I turn fountain pens.... hmm next project me thinks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thanks Eamonn!

I sold them for prices lower than they suggested/offered as I felt they were being over generous to me as an individual (friends and family) as opposed to someone producing commercially. That said - after looking at the suggestions on here re prices, they were sold in the £15-£25 price range. They were really happy with the prices/pens and I was comfortable with charging those amounts also...

Have now been asked if I turn fountain pens.... hmm next project me thinks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done, excellent work..

Fountain pens are no different to turn then slimline pens. Just costs you more to make a dock up..:sob:

When you order your first fountain pens, order a set of replacement tubes at the same time. I know your tubes can be saved even if mistakes are made on the jacket. But not if you square off a little more than The kit will alllow.

Fountain pen kits are not as critical as "clicker" type kits so you should have no problem. However I have totalled a few tubes in the past and if I was just setting out turning I would advise to get a few spare tubes in when you buy a different kit each time.. Just a safety net really.

FP's look more daunting because of the amount of parts, trust me they are no different and often easier to make.

The only thing to watch is if the customer wants a better quality nib, some kits have the nib fitted with an interference fit and not threaded. The threaded ones are a much better buy. Omega, mistral and Baron of the top of my head.

By the way, the nibs supplied with some pens are really pants.. That's what my grandson said..:goesred:

Watch out for the gent II kits, ask if the nibs are threaded before commiting to buy, so many of the new Gent kits are now interference fit nibs. You will see so many advertised but they are all different. I put a Gent comparison up on here a while ago, see if I can find it and link it for you.

Look forward to you next photos of FP's

ArtyCrafty

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nichola
That's great news Steve, well done you. I don't know if this applies but I put so much time and effort into ensuring the pens I make are 'spot on' and look gorgeous, that it's sometimes quite hard to let them go !!! Also putting a price on your product is always a dilemma, but I agree with earlier posts insomuch that there has to be a value that respects the time involved in conceiving, turning and crafting the end product; Don't devalue yourself by selling too cheaply.
I don't always express myself in the right words, but I hope you get my meaning

Well done indeed

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).