• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The year starts here

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well for me the year starts today as I have just completed all the jobs from last year. Been out in the wood store and pulled out some bits and pieces and brought them into the house to do some final drying as they are things like boxes. I also picked out a couple of blanks for some pens. Just need to decide which ones I want to pull out for a couple of bowls.

I will also be making the half track which is an ongoing project as well as a Prime mover as Mark and Peter would call it after all it is an Australian set of plans

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
The year started today for me too Derek. Been getting so pen blanks trimmed for turning, including my comp pen.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have been setting up my new sharpening system. A bench grinder with the CBN wheel that I got for Christmas and a brand new Tormek BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mounting Set that I got for less than half price at Northumbrian Woodturner's December auction. The other end of the grinder has had the wheel and guards removed and fitted with a pigtail attachment for polishing mops.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I've been putting off starting my year. Tomorrow is also a public holiday in Scotland, so I think I may just have to take tomorrow off too. Supplies are holding out well though:pint:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I have been setting up my new sharpening system. A bench grinder with the CBN wheel that I got for Christmas and a brand new Tormek BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mounting Set that I got for less than half price at Northumbrian Woodturner's December auction. The other end of the grinder has had the wheel and guards removed and fitted with a pigtail attachment for polishing mops.

With the mop so close to the grinding wheel is there a problem with cross contamination

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Last year has just rolled into this year as far as the workshop is concerned, I've been glueing up panels & rails for doors today, can't hardly move in the shop for timber in clamps & extractor bags full of shavings.
First job tomorrow is emptying the waste into the van & dropping it off at a mates who burns it to heat his workshop.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks Walter I was curious what speed those newish CBN wheels run at and yes I find the speed important for buffing.

Peter.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I had to help take all the Christmas decorations down today, they all live down in the shed, they are now all back in their place, the shed in now officially my workshop again, let the pen turning of 2017 begin.

Also looking to turn something other than a pen (or pencil) this year, watch this space :thinks::thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).