• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Thien separator...the build

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I started today by removing the baffle, sanding it, applying a coat of cellulose sanding sealer & then a coat of wax polish that was buffed with the ROS.

The baffle was refitted & offered up to the drum.

Next the Cam vac was dismantled from the Dust Deputy, I`d not emptied the Camvac for about 5 months & even though the Dust Deputy was full & had been emptied many times within those 5 months this was all that was in side the vac.

The old hoses were fitted up to the the Thien & it was hooked up to the vac.

After a little vacuuming it appears that the separator works with a star shaped pattern of dust in the bottom of the separator drum.

A check on the vacuum drum revealed that some debris had gone through possibly more than I`d have expected with my Dust Deputy cyclone.

But still not bad & I`ve time to tinker with the set up.
Whilst I was at it I took the opportunity to modify the Camvac inlet as I noticed that Camvac have altered their design, so I added an elbow & short piece of pipe in the vac drum so any dust entering would be forced against the sides.

With that all done I`ve now reconnected the Dust Deputy to an old Henry vac, this fits nicely under the mitre saw bench with my compressor which are boxed in with removable panels to dull the sound.

The Camvac & Thien separator will eventually sit behind the lathe, that`s this evening job after I`ve cleared a space for them.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug the finishing touch of waxing the separator is a great move also the reverse cyclone bend in the vac it works also noticed the dust removal is A1 plus. Youve exceeded the original intention with your to be sure approach I never use one nail where two will fit.

Kind regards Peter. PS your pics allow even unbelievers to follow easily as you have given dialog and top pics, congratulations and salutations.

:phew::bravo::camera::claps:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Me too for now Keith, but while ever it has pictures i can always come back to them when i have educated myself on the subject .. :thumbs:

Watch a few of the you tube videos Jim, it will soon make perfect sense.
Thanks to everyone for the comments :thumbs:

I`ve managed tonight to shoehorn both vac & separator behind the lathe so just need to make a small funnel for the open end of the 2" hose now :banana:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Doug, Jim - any objections to making this a tutorial in the relevant section? As Peter says it's very useful with lovely clear pictures. I don't have time to try it now but will be doing it sometime in the New Year.

Thanks Doug! :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just back I think the Library Idea is highly commendable really is the simplest build done with great care and precision.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I agree, please put it in the tutorial section, even though at this moment I'm struggling to understand what extra it brings to the "extraction" party. :nooidea:

Quiet in the office so am off to research on YouTube :whistling:

I think 2014 may just be extractor time for me, after all it makes very good sense.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).