• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Thinking.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
The only problem I can see with engraving something to be used as a kitchen knife, (like a steak knife set,) is whether the engraving would catch food particles and grow bacteria. You would have to scrub it with a brush or something every time you used it. For any other purpose, it would be great.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good points Mr Finch.
While the idea of flaunting my wares and engraving blades is new to me, the knife making is not a new project for me.
I understand the costs being prohibitive for fancy blades and that market is already a busy one for those established in it.
I am certainly looking at the cheaper end of the market of practical show pieces if you like.
Still lots of thought to go into any project I may embark upon or not as the case may be.
I am thinking of kitchenware or wall display pieces rather than bushcrafts although if asked and with a deposit to cover the blade cost I see no reason why not.
As for equipment I still have my Parker steel account open and one of my old companies is still going strong although all the lads are now self employed I know they will accommodate my needs as small pickings to them.
County Steel :: Home and will be paying them a visit at the weekend.

People don't seem to understand Brian that our generation were always making our own tools including knives I think you will still find there is a market for commemorative knives, wedding cake knives I have never seen any with peoples names on them before I bet wedding organisers / shops would snatch your hand off have a word with Ed his wife has a cake shop

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The only problem I can see with engraving something to be used as a kitchen knife, (like a steak knife set,) is whether the engraving would catch food particles and grow bacteria. You would have to scrub it with a brush or something every time you used it. For any other purpose, it would be great.

Hmmm that made me think, and look through my Drains Drawers (not so unpleasant after all, I might get to know this serving wench).
Just about all of our Cutlery has either a manufacturers name or Stainless steel stamped or engraved in it, so I am not convinced that is a put off just yet.
My Drain tells me it's only us old folks who still wash up by hand, we have purchased 4 dishwasher machines in our lifetime yet we still don't own one. (Iknow my place init?)
Bloody kids have an easy life with mum and dad buying all the gear for em init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).