• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Threading Yunstone

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Over time I have sween pens of this material under another name as well threaded successfully. If you are looking for assistance,tips on how this will need to come from others.

Peter.

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
I have not tried it, but on IAP they agree that Truestone (the same as Yunstone) takes the threads, but they crack easily, and it kills your taps and dies.

But I wish to hear experienced turners about it. Phil, your opinion ?

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I think you will probably be able to cut a thread on it, but as Pierre says, it wont be very kind to your thread cutters, and more importantly, it will be very brittle. I'm not sure the thread would stand up to the test of time very well. If you want to use a medium such as Yunstone, you might be better off considering the use of some sort of insert for the threaded part - something that is a bit more resilient at the crest, which is where it's going to be most vulnerable to chipping.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I think you will probably be able to cut a thread on it, but as Pierre says, it wont be very kind to your thread cutters, and more importantly, it will be very brittle. I'm not sure the thread would stand up to the test of time very well. If you want to use a medium such as Yunstone, you might be better off considering the use of some sort of insert for the threaded part - something that is a bit more resilient at the crest, which is where it's going to be most vulnerable to chipping.
Thanks for that assessment Phil, the last thing of want to do is ruin those trip starts so I'll stick to acrylics and ebonite :thumbs:

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).