• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Not made a stick for a while so this was a pleasant diversion. Points cut off the antler and replaced with African Blackwood, domed to prevent injury. Shaft is hazel with a solid nickel collar to hide the joint as it's impossible to get an exact cross section match with antler.
IMG_0537.jpg

Could someone rotate it for me please.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Never known enough about sticks , thumb stick that you made must be a steadying one. I looked up a guy called stick man on the net and received instruction on this type of stick, jointing etc.

Thanks for sharing your stick making result Keith, liked the doming and the use of the Antler..

Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Nice one Keith, I like that!

One of the things on my list of to dos. I have a half finished simple crook handle in lacewood sitting on the bench and a couple of shanks which have been seasoning for 20 years :goesred::whistling:

Also have antler, buffalo horn and a nice piece of ramshorn so no excuses. I met the renowned stick maker Norman Tulip a number of times many years ago and he said the ramshorn I have is "no fool" which I later had translated as being half decent :funny:

Norman made sticks for the royal family and to the best of my knowledge although he was offered large sums for his sticks he never sold one of them during his lifetime. I remember him as a real character.

woodhacker

Fellow
First Name
Peter also been called many others
Nice one Keith, I like that!

One of the things on my list of to dos. I have a half finished simple crook handle in lacewood sitting on the bench and a couple of shanks which have been seasoning for 20 years :goesred::whistling:

Also have antler, buffalo horn and a nice piece of ramshorn so no excuses. I met the renowned stick maker Norman Tulip a number of times many years ago and he said the ramshorn I have is "no fool" which I later had translated as being half decent :funny:

Norman made sticks for the royal family and to the best of my knowledge although he was offered large sums for his sticks he never sold one of them during his lifetime. I remember him as a real character.

Are some of his sticks not in Alnwick Castle Bob? If you're not going to use them I can always come up and collect them.:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Are some of his sticks not in Alnwick Castle Bob? If you're not going to use them I can always come up and collect them.:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Yes to the first question Keith, there are a good collection on display and a definite no to the offer however kind it is to take them off my hands I'll get a roundtuit one day.:ciggrin::funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Well made Keith, looks good .. I like how you have used the Dandelion as a prop also .. :kiss:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Well made Keith, looks good .. I like how you have used the Dandelion as a prop also .. :kiss:

Thank you Jim. She bought the dandelion thingy, could've bought three thuya burr pen blanks for the same money. No sense of priority.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Great looking Keith well done.:thumbs::thumbs:

What is a thumb stick?:thinks:

It's mainly used for when you are walking outdoors. The vee of the antler naturally fits your thumb. It supports your weight when walking and is handy for leaning on when having a rest.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).