• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

timberbits.com

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I think Brian has started his vino job and run out of stock between leaving the warehouse and the first delivery. Hic! :funny:

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I have never used Timberbits as being quite new to the hobby and always seem to be skint I cant afford to buy in bulk and when I can buy something its because I need it so don't want to wait weeks for delivery so I rely on UK suppliers.
I'm sure this might be false economy but needs must.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm worried about Brian. First of all he is being unusually pleasant and he hasn't commented on our little pokes since last night :thinks: either he really is ill or he's got lost driving his Vino van :funny::funny::funny:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I have never used Timberbits as being quite new to the hobby and always seem to be skint I cant afford to buy in bulk and when I can buy something its because I need it so don't want to wait weeks for delivery so I rely on UK suppliers.
I'm sure this might be false economy but needs must.

I think that everyone starts off like this Roy. We get poorer and poorer and buy more and more. When you start selling some it'll get easier but make sure you charge what they're worth and don't give them away... a pen sold cheaply is a cheap pen that'll end up in the back of a drawer, a pen sold for a lot of money is something to cherish and will have the pride of place... probably :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Dan has got a very good chance to succeed where the rest of the UK industry has failed because they are not penturners and/or dont listen to penturners. If you want to turn out half a dzen slimlines for christmans presents then your not going to be the most experienced critic of quality, most suppliers in this country have little idea, perhaps one exception being Vince but he is buying from the big 2 and is expensive beyond the quality.. Lets be honest, Fun e Turnz and penkitsUK are driven solely by price, push out the cheapest kits from the same supplier who cant cope with any mechanism more complicated than a slimline. Turners Retreat buy there kits from the big USA 2 and as such end up being a fortune again, Stiles and Bates have a few kits but are not a serious contender, and Axminster use three suppliers, the same as Fun e Turnz and PenkitsUK for some, PSI for others and an unknown source for the rest. Ax really have a bizarre range from the cheap and really tacky to the Majestic.

So there's a hole in the market Dan, quality kits straight from the manufacturer, and since the PSI and Berea haven't extended their patents over here in the beleive that there is no other landmass 10 miles beyond the shore of Florida, companies have realised, I think since the copying of the Bolt Action, that the world is their oyster. Or Lobster, prawn, turbot or whatever else floats your boat. Go for it Dan, quality kits and reasonable prices and you could win!

Exactly this, the UK is crying out for a decent supplier that is also affordable i cant afford to bulk buy so what i buy is small amounts from ebay mainly.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I think what this thread really shows is that we need Dan to succeed and get a good range of quality kits at a reasonable price. So far he's doing good but we do need to support him to ensure he succeeds and every little helps when you're starting off a new business.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I think what this thread really shows is that we need Dan to succeed and get a good range of quality kits at a reasonable price. So far he's doing good but we do need to support him to ensure he succeeds and every little helps when you're starting off a new business.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey as they say in Honky Fid, Eh Paul? Agree but it will take time, and a little spent ensuring that the kits are of good quality will be time very well spent. The project management say so of the Right Quality, at the Right price at the Right time, is particularly relevant. Lets be honest, Dan provides the right kits at the right price and, with respect to timing, has them in stock then there is no issue of whether we will or not support him, we will buy them because thats what we want!

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Slowly slowly catchee monkey as they say in Honky Fid, Eh Paul?

Unfortunately only ever working on Hunters, I never got there Neil. Pompey and Guzz had its fair share of people who shared the dits though.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).