• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

TM Alpha FP in a "Vape Swirl" blank

Freck Fraser

Graduate Member
First Name
Freck
My first FP made on a "Vape Swirl" blank from Turners retreat. Very happy with this one, lessons learnt previously carried out on this one.

As an aside I've stopped turning both parts of any "2 part" pens at the same time on the mandrel, as it appears I'm getting a bit of throw on it, dropped down to 1 section and theres no imbalance in the blank, if you know what I mean? The 2 ends of either blank in the middle of the mandrel were turning level to the bush on 1 side and rotate 180deg and I had a lip of approx 0.5mm. I'm not sure if the mandrel is slightly bent but it rolls fine on the lathe bed.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Like a reflection swirl mate such a lot happening. I ca,nt remember when I last turned two blanks together, I first watched a guy make a pen it seemed unwise indeed to press against the blanks whilst turning with his fingers to stop the vibration . I made my first Mandrel from a long machine bolt, cut off the head and thread.

I also found bringing the Slimline blanks to the round I could choose then which to make top and bottom according to the grain match.

Peter.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Lovely pen Freck. And I know what you mean about the mandrel :thumbs:
I have the same problem and only turn one blank at a time also :rolling:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Lovely looking pen Freck. The mandrel problem is to do with the relationship between the i/d of the bush vs, the o/d of the mandrel. Its fine at either end which is the point of least "wobble, but in the middle, if there is a significant difference between the two that's where you get the problems.

I've long been an advocate of standardised mandrel sizes and bushing i/d's, but every time I mention it I get shouted down. In fact, as some people here will know, I was going to try to introduce a voluntary standard when I first launched the Mistral kits, and I had a small number of key manufacturers on board, but there was so much negativity amongst some of the old lags, they wore me down to the point that in the end I thought why bother. So consequently the problem still exists.

Not to hijack your thread though, that's a very handsome pen.

Freck Fraser

Graduate Member
First Name
Freck
Grateful of the explanation Phil, just the kind of info I was looking for, and thanks also to Peter and Chas in mentioning they also had issues.

Lovely looking pen Freck. The mandrel problem is to do with the relationship between the i/d of the bush vs, the o/d of the mandrel. Its fine at either end which is the point of least "wobble, but in the middle, if there is a significant difference between the two that's where you get the problems.

I've long been an advocate of standardised mandrel sizes and bushing i/d's, but every time I mention it I get shouted down. In fact, as some people here will know, I was going to try to introduce a voluntary standard when I first launched the Mistral kits, and I had a small number of key manufacturers on board, but there was so much negativity amongst some of the old lags, they wore me down to the point that in the end I thought why bother. So consequently the problem still exists.

Not to hijack your thread though, that's a very handsome pen.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Nice looking pen :thumbs:

I'm the same, 1 blank at a time now.

Not sure if it's what Phil says entirely, but if the bushes ain't tight on the mandrel shaft, you got no chance. I reckon there is a certain amount of flex which helps throw it out.

Wish I could use a metal lathe cos then I would make my own dam bushes

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).