• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

TM Sedona Drill size

mdcotton

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Hi everyone,

Just started woodturning, thoroughly enjoying myself. Already made some pens from cheap(ish) kits that have turned out brilliantly. so decided to make some great ones from good kits from TM. Ive bought fountain and rollerball Sedona kits but looking on the website theres no instructions. they look exceptional quality so i don't want to guess the size of hole(s) i need to drill. has anyone made these and if so what size drills did you use ?

Many thanks for your help, really enjoying the forum and admiring the pictures of your work.

Mark

Jim

Grand Master
H i Mark, welcome to the forums .. Here are the drill sizes: Drill Bit - 25/64" (10mm) & 15/32" (11.9mm) but for quite awhile now i have used a 11.8 as the gap between the tube and the blank seems a tad to much .. The 11.8 fits perfect if using medium CA ..

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Mark - welcome aboard. Jim knows what he's doing. I always use the imperial sizes for Sedonas, but Jim's metric conversions I'm sure will see you right.

mdcotton

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
brilliant, wow that was quick ! the tube for sedona slides inside the tube for the omega (which i also bought) so your recommendation on the slightly reduced drill diameter makes perfect sense. many thanks, i'll see if i can get a 11.8mm drill bit. do you recommend a particular brand or supplier ?
mark

mdcotton

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Hi phil, thanks, is it true to say then that all sedona kits have the same tube sizes ? appreciate your quick response and welcome message
mark

Jim

Grand Master
I get my drill bits from work Mark, but i am sure google could help you find the correct sizes ..

mdcotton

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
done and ordered, never knew this even existed, lightly embarrassed but still learning ! any other tips/must haves ? thanks brad.
mark

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Mark, get yourself a set of these, for the price it's a no brainer and you'll be able to check every tube you use

I reckon they should be a must for every pen turner

Set of 2 Drill Gauges Stainless Steel Metric & Imperial Drill Gauge | eBay

Cheers

Brad

First class advice mate and I often measure unusual ones mostly the reading I get suffices something to watch if you drill now glue now or double check when you do glue always surprises when you glue much later on..

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have never seen such a set before thanks Mark I will seek them out. Last time I scoured our town for number drills I got blank stares from the counter jockeys. Live firms with bewildered staff.

Peter.
Same here, broke my #36 drill bit, can't get a replacement here without buying a Shiite set of Chinese bits?
My number set is Us made, wish I bought a set of letter drill at the same time.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).