• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Today I went to a Knifemaker

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Round journey of a hundred kms. Totally impressed with the timber etc used for handles. The owners daughter is thirteen and she is an instructor, she has been making knives since she was six. Viewed many of hers and others Damascus steel knives she creates from scratch. School holidays just now so she is teaching with others this week.

I have permission to come back, take pics of various aspects from raw materials to finished knives for all purposes.

The activities such as lessons were all in full swing. Totally impressed. The owner has been collecting rare timbers for twenty plus yrs said he would show me through them.

Also a good day through a mate of mine I got a block of Orange Boxwood from Queensland and two logs of Conkerberry, I will take pics of my new timber tomorrow. He has been supplying timber to the Knife Makers for years, touching base with him today was great, his house was subject to demolition and land purchase because of asbestos insulation by the govt. He had to live for months in temporary accomodation. Get compensation and buy another house.

With Working For Wood Show coming in October excitement is non stop.

Peter.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Seem to remember you visiting this person afore Peter ..wouldn't mind seeing some photos of the knives.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Don,t use a mobile phone like you guys, camera pics will follow next week or so. refer to para 2 in my post. I love pics. Ed I have not met this man before, have known many a knife maker none in the serious class of this one. I do remember following through on a world famous Chef. His name is Tetsuya, when he opened in Australia he told of his love of Damascus Steel knives. He estabished a business contract with a famous knife maker in Melbourne. I rang that knife maker in Melbourne and wrote a story of this on the forum. Paul M was fascinated by this so I sent him the interview on our ABC in the form of a DVD. Tetsuya uses Damascus knives all the time. Rags to riches story of when the Chef arrived in Australia aged 22.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Ed the cover of the Video I sent to Paul that I referred to. I miss Paul we both have an interest in Damascus Steel.

Where are you Matt you make beaut knives long time no see.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
We would all love the situation in fact it is almost Idylic.

The house and land is rural, the house was built for Richard Raffan as his forever house. The Workshop Richard built is large and now divided into various rooms with many of and heaps of special gear for knife making. 700 students a yr pass through. The big shed down the drive has a simple furnace, amazingly simple with metal gear large anvils etc. Because my mission was to be brief and in keeping with the bounds of how will this man respond etc. There were upwards of twenty people, students, workers and three family involved. The owner has given me Carte Blanche to take pics in the future.

WE are experiencing the wettest period in known records with the ususual spring weather so I will wait a week or two to revist.

Richard Raffans wife wanted to be back in civilisation so they sold the property twenty years ago. we as a wood Guild often went out to this place as Turners enjoying his hospitality when Richard was in full swing as a production turner, he gained from our visits selling his offcuts by the bags at reasonable prices. He would buy in a couple of tons of burl etc, rough turn and stack.

Richard was a generous member not a cent charged for his valued prescence and advice. He still is really active in our club in between overseas appearances and his books. Fond memories out where I visited.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).