• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

tool rest hight

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This is one of those questions like how long is a piece of string there is a rule of thumb but that soon changes for most as we all will find our own sweet spot for different types of chisel you will find that most turners will give a different answer but I find all newbies need a place to start which Terry pointed out tool rest just below center for gouges so that the cutting tip of the tool is on the center line scrappers that are not needed to make pens tool rest above center with the handle held high so the tip is on the center line skew tool rest high so the tool is on top of the wood tilted till it starts to cut as said this is the rule of thumb a place to start at which will evolve till you find that wonderful sweet spot for you to work at.

Personally when making pens I only use a continental spindle gouge with the wings ground back and I can get a beautiful finish from that I just use it at different angles for different cuts and it is ground at a different angle to all my other gouges but I have been turning for a lot of years and have developed my way of doing things as you all will given time just dont confuse yourself to much with all the technical jargon that long term turners may come out with relax and enjoy your hobby and it will all come together for you as you develop your skills one simple answer is practice and more practice and even after ten years of turning one day you will find another way of doing things it is a voyage of discovery enjoy
Regards Woody

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).