• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tool test

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Woody you bowled me over you have excellent control over whatever tool you choose to use the bowl has neat markings as well, am I right in that Iroko is of the blackwood family?

Peter:claps:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
, am I right in that Iroko is of the blackwood family?

Peter:claps:

I dont think so Peter here is what the Wikipedia encyclopaedia has to say about it
Iroko is a large hardwood tree from the west coast of tropical Africa. It is one of the woods sometimes referred to as African Teak, although it is unrelated to the teak family. The wood colour is initially yellow but darkens to a richer brown over time. It is yielded mostly (probably) by Milicia excelsa. In much of the literature on this timber the names of the trees that yields it are given as Chlorophora excelsa and Chlorophora regia.[1][2] The tree is feared in some cultures where it originates and hence is shunned or revered with offerings.[3] Yoruba people believe that the tree is inhabited by a spirit, and anybody who sees the Iroko-man face to face becomes insane and speedily dies.[4] According to the Yoruba, any man who cuts down any Iroko tree causes devastating misfortune on himself and all of his family.[4] They also claim that the spirit of the Iroko can be heard in houses which use Iroko wood, as the spirit of the Iroko is trapped in the wood

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
Thats impressive Woody...And more so with the quality of the finished bowl/platter. Love it :love_it:
I am going to have to build a couple of these....

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I dont think so Peter here is what the Wikipedia encyclopaedia has to say about it
Iroko is a large hardwood tree from the west coast of tropical Africa. It is one of the woods sometimes referred to as African Teak, although it is unrelated to the teak family. The wood colour is initially yellow but darkens to a richer brown over time. It is yielded mostly (probably) by Milicia excelsa. In much of the literature on this timber the names of the trees that yields it are given as Chlorophora excelsa and Chlorophora regia.[1][2] The tree is feared in some cultures where it originates and hence is shunned or revered with offerings.[3] Yoruba people believe that the tree is inhabited by a spirit, and anybody who sees the Iroko-man face to face becomes insane and speedily dies.[4] According to the Yoruba, any man who cuts down any Iroko tree causes devastating misfortune on himself and all of his family.[4] They also claim that the spirit of the Iroko can be heard in houses which use Iroko wood, as the spirit of the Iroko is trapped in the wood

Thanks Woody it is worthwhile timber great bowl mate.

Thanks Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).