• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tried out new chain saw

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well I have christened me new chainsaw at the back one of Billy's sycamore logs I will do the other one for you latter in the middle Apricot and in the front one of the laburnum logs Doug gave me now I'm cream crackered time for a cuppa no a goodly J/S then pva them
DSCF0353.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
There's some nice wood there Woody, hard work cutting them that way with a chainsaw, how long before we see them turned to bowls?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Look out at Lidl and Aldi for an electric chainsaw sharpener, they sell them for about £20 which is about half the price from elsewhere and they are so quick and accurate. I haven't seen them this year so they will probably come up soon.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Look out at Lidl and Aldi for an electric chainsaw sharpener, they sell them for about £20 which is about half the price from elsewhere and they are so quick and accurate. I haven't seen them this year so they will probably come up soon.

Peter

Hi Peter I was lookig at them on ebay about the same price

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
There's some nice wood there Woody, hard work cutting them that way with a chainsaw, how long before we see them turned to bowls?

Hi Paul I have cut the Apricot up into pen blanks the Laburnum has only been down about a month and the sycamore is Billys but I have another two sycamore to split that I will e turning as soon as I can

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul I have cut the Apricot up into pen blanks the Laburnum has only been down about a month and the sycamore is Billys but I have another two sycamore to split that I will e turning as soon as I can

You certainly aren't letting the grass grow under your feet Woody. I like cutting up the wood as much as I do turning it sometimes. :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Does anyone have an opinion of what's best to seal the ends, pva or paraffin wax, and which one is cheaper?

I use PVA, I buy it by the gallon about £6-7 a pop, it's easy to apply, spread it thick or dip the end in & then dip the wet end in some dry shavings. That's what the chap at the local sawmill does so I figured if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me, the only shame is it only uses a fraction of the shavings I produce :thinks:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I use PVA, I buy it by the gallon about £6-7 a pop, it's easy to apply, spread it thick or dip the end in & then dip the wet end in some dry shavings. That's what the chap at the local sawmill does so I figured if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me, the only shame is it only uses a fraction of the shavings I produce :thinks:

I use PVA quite simply because its easier than heating the Parafin wax (and safer) to 90 degrees. Some people use candle wax. This is not a good idea unless it is stearate free. The sterate is the compound that they include in candles to make them stiffer, without this the top inch of any candle would develop brewers droop and the whole thing would collapse. The sterate componud also makes the candle wax inflexible, pva and parafin wax will move with the wood, candle wax wont and the air will get in under the wax and defeat the object.

Doug, - the dip it in the shavings is a new one on me and sounds like a fantastic piece of woodturning folklore, any justification in that one? Might be that its his way of showing that its sealed if the pva dries clear? I cant see it doing an iota to help the wood dry.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).