• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Trip To Warco

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I decided to take a trip to Warco and have just got back. The M25 was typical and the A3 was recovering from a car that turned over this morning so it was a long haul. It is so far into the sticks with little country lanes you have to worry about if a tractor is coming the other way. Still worth a visit though with lots of shiny. I had to resist buying accessories as until I have the mill, I could end up with gear I can't use if I change my mind. There is a lovely DRO as an optional extra for the mill, but I would have to do the fettling to get it to fit, maybe in the future.

Peter

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I've never been able to justify the cost of a DRO on my VMC but I do use the stops quite a lot. So much so I binned the ones that came with the mill and made nice new stainless steel ones with decent T nuts.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I've never been able to justify the cost of a DRO on my VMC but I do use the stops quite a lot. So much so I binned the ones that came with the mill and made nice new stainless steel ones with decent T nuts.

I don't know that I can justify a DRO, but it looks to be useful and is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. I have no idea what the stops are other than what the name suggests.

Peter

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
My mill has two pairs of stops to limit the X and Y table travel. They're handy for many operations and you can keep an eye on the cutter/workpiece rather than watching the dials or DRO. :winking:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I am still waiting for one of there bandsaws to be delivered

Have you been waiting long? If I buy the mill at the open day I will be able to take it away with me and hopefully get a reduction in price instead of the delivery.

My mill has two pairs of stops to limit the X and Y table travel. They're handy for many operations and you can keep an eye on the cutter/workpiece rather than watching the dials or DRO. :winking:

Where are the stops located on the mill.

I know when I have used my mates Mill I was only looking at the cutter and not the dials although that was free milling an area drawn on the metal so easy to see.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Have you been waiting long? If I buy the mill at the open day I will be able to take it away with me and hopefully get a reduction in price instead of the delivery.

Peter

I ordered it on the 21/7/16 and phoned them last week and was told it would be dispatched towards the end of last week or the beginning of this week and they would phone me when it was on the way still waiting for the call so I will be phoning them tomorrow

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Like the sound of limits nothing quite like the sound of metal when you concentrate on the cut. My DRO is a real pain chews up batteries, switches itself on regularly. If I buy another one I will look for excellent.

Pics please on the stops.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I ordered it on the 21/7/16 and phoned them last week and was told it would be dispatched towards the end of last week or the beginning of this week and they would phone me when it was on the way still waiting for the call so I will be phoning them tomorrow

I hate that when companies don't give a firm delivery date or it keeps changing.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Like the sound of limits nothing quite like the sound of metal when you concentrate on the cut. My DRO is a real pain chews up batteries, switches itself on regularly. If I buy another one I will look for excellent.

Pics please on the stops.

Peter.

OLd pics my first mod then the DRO.

Peter

Attachments

• DSCF0003-147.JPG
    DSCF0003-147.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0003 []-001.JPG
    DSCF0003 []-001.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 33

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Where are the stops located on the mill.

Peter

The table has a dovetail slot on the front edge of the table for the X stops and there's a short section of T slot bolted on the right side of the knee for the Y stops. All the stops are round buttons with a socket screw for adjustment.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I decided to take a trip to Warco and have just got back. The M25 was typical and the A3 was recovering from a car that turned over this morning so it was a long haul. It is so far into the sticks with little country lanes you have to worry about if a tractor is coming the other way. Still worth a visit though with lots of shiny. I had to resist buying accessories as until I have the mill, I could end up with gear I can't use if I change my mind. There is a lovely DRO as an optional extra for the mill, but I would have to do the fettling to get it to fit, maybe in the future.

Peter

Is the DRO in the catalogue?

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I found the DRO here, but you also need to look in accessories to see the scales.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks for that, I did notice something similar on one of the Mills at Warco, I just didn't know what they were.

Peter

Thanks William and Peter I went out to my Mill and lo and behold I have two stops operated by an Allen threaded Screw but no post. When I bought my Mill Drill it was second hand so a I scoured the net . There were many groups who offered a lot of mods. One was to make an apron front and back of the table to keep swarf out of the winding gear so I will remove the front one there may be a provision for a stop centre there.

I am certain that would be a great bonus for me.

From the complete description etc of the Warco mill I could be wrong but its left handed. Not a terrible thing mine is so heavy I try to alternate left and right hands to operate it. Always thought I would rather get my exercise this way, BUT I signed up with a Gym and commence there next Monday.

Another mod I made immediately the quill lock was two flat blocks brought together to hold the Quill I stripped these out and fashioned two shoes that shaped around the quill to make it ten times better.

I know by now heaps of improves have surely taken place.

The next thing was heave the Taiwanese motor and fit heavy duty one from here or England. I did this with my drill press as well.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
From the complete description etc of the Warco mill I could be wrong but its left handed. Not a terrible thing mine is so heavy I try to alternate left and right hands to operate it. Always thought I would rather get my exercise this way, BUT I signed up with a Gym and commence there next Monday.

Peter.

I would have said it was right handed, but maybe I don't understand the terminology or the way it will be used. I may put the purchase on hold as yesterday when I looked they had dropped the price of the next mill up by a significant amount, that price drop is not the same today, although the WM14 is now £55 cheaper than when I first looked, so much for the exchange rates pushing prices up.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).