• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Unknown resin

sutdm

Peak district (cheshire, but i'm not a footballer)
First Name
Mark
This one was definitely a challenge. The material is a bit brittle (i got that sense when i turned it down as it chipped out very easily. Then, when i was threading the cap internally. The tenon i put in (alumilite) was threading very nicely when.... the main material just fractured off in a ring just behind where the tenon finished. 'Oh,,,,,deary me' said i and then unscrewed the tenon off the thread tap. i held it back in place on the rest of the cap, ran some thin CA in and then filled in the bits where it had chipped out with thick CA and thought i may as well finish it and see what it looks like. I'm actually quite pleased with the results and i'm having fun with different shapes of pen to see how they feel in the hand. It's another beast (my hands measure 215mm from middle finger tip to base of my palm) and i've made it to hold pilot G2 gel ink refills. Interestingly, the main material has dimpled with the polishing where the diamond particles have resisted abrasion more than the resin. The tenon and finial alumilite which also has the diamond filled resin hasn't dimpled.
Anyway, any comments, as usual, are all welcome. I have broad shoulders and the 'Learning points' are always more useful than not.
Oh, and happy New Year
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_102756006.jpg
    IMG_20240103_102756006.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240103_102829685.jpg
    IMG_20240103_102829685.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 17

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have a number of those blanks from when I made make-up brushes, it's the glitter particles that make it brittle....
Nice job though, you must have a lot of patience šŸ˜€