• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Unusual requests

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Its been a month of 'unusuality', this time a hunter asked me to make a pen from a boars tooth because he had shot it, (the Boar that is not the tooth:rolling:) A bolt action from Vince at Turners workshop.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Wow, super job. What kind of problems did you have turning this?

You have to cut off the white/hollow section first because its too soft in the middle to take a tube so you lose about 1.5" (I forgot to take a picture of that). Then because it's not square I had to turn a tenon between centres to get a holding section for drilling (of note a mask is essential it stinks as well as good dust collection). Then drill slowly, I drilled at 500rpm, and advance slowly clearing out the waste and making sure you don't get too hot and cause blowout. (I was conscious that I was using someone else's 'blank' so did want to waste it). Once drilled and a tube stuck in turn at high speed because initially there is a lot of air. Then I sanded down through the micro meshes finishing with a white diamond buffing wheel. The photo doesn't show the shine on the body but it is really tactile it has a warm squeaky feel whereas false ivory is cold. He has the tooth from the other side so I might suggest a pen stand out of that. :winking:

PG

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Looking good and a good memory for the hunter..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A huge Tusk Pierre that made a neat pen. I have a son in law from Papua New Guinea where pigs are significant. They wear teeth around the neck as a pride symbol there.

really like the thought of utilising the other Tusk in a pen stand it would be a standout combination, giving scale and understanding to the pen, the significance of the pen kit then falls into place.

Quite a story and pen mate.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).