• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vacuum Stabilizing Chamber

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Although I am new to pen turning I have spent several weeks researching stabilising pen blanks and more importantly what liquid/resins/wood hardeners we can use in the UK to stabilise the wood. The later is the three million pound question!!!

I have been down the Cactus Juice route to find its very expensive to import. Apparently we have no UK suppliers.

For international shipping for cactus juice http://www.turntex.com/images/TurnTex/international and canada shipping.pdf

The MAIN advantages of Cactus juice is that its HEAT CURED the wood it's cured immediately stopping and further air seeping back into the wood and resin leaking over time from the wood.

Another conventional method such as wood hardener which is cured over time and during this period the liquid seeps out and air is replaced. How much this make an issue I don't know.

Another alternative is another product raved about in America is a wood hardener called MINWAX this is not heat cured. But apparently a great alternative to Cactus Juice. yet again this is not available in the UK. And not as good as Cactus Juice.

So where has my research left me.

Well I am about to try the Ronseal and cuprunal wood harden apparently this does work from what I have read. Heat the wood first (warm) then put the wood in the vacuum chamber/hardener once the bubbling has stopped from the vacuum the wood is wrapped in tin foil reducing any sealant seeping out and air getting in. Then put in a warm oven or place for several hours and then cured over time for several days

Another source of research is a polyurethane sealer primer, a single pack urethane the has very low viscosity which would be required to penetrate Wood again not heat cured but the warmer the atmosphere the better and quicker drying/hardening time.

I will post pictures of my setup which is relatively cheap and easy to sourced components Regarding the vacuum pump there are several options I have read about..

Purchase a vacuum pump £150-300 very expensive.
Use a fridge pump as suggested in earlier posts.
I have used a tyre pressure pump that was in the garage. Dismantled the pump and switched the + terminal and - negative terminal round (Now its a vacuum ) not a pump as the motor turns the opposite way creating a vacuum.

A more cheaper and easier method is to heat water in a pan, in the pan is your pickle jar with resin inside and pen blanks (lid on) As the heat of the water heat the resin is become thinner and the pours open within the woodI pregnating deeper. Also this makes a vacuum in the pickle jar. *** Note this is dangerous as you playing with possible flammable liquids and HOT WATER.**** please don't use this method mess you are in a safe environment /no kids etc,

I will update more later.... Bed time :rolling:

Thanks mate.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).