• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vertex Click Cross

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
My brother-in-law is a minister, and he'll be leaving his church of 15 years next month. He invited me to the going away party at the church, so I wanted to make something special for him and his wife. I decided to try these blanks from PSI that have embedded crosses. I chose Vertex Click pens in gunmetal and chrome. I chose the Vertex pens because they have short clips, and I wanted to position the clips on the front of the pens, but that didn't work out. I had to position the crosses to the sides, so the clips wouldn't block the tops of the crosses. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Several of the reviews said that the blanks are brittle, and they were right. They're as brittle as inlace acrylester. You'd think they would use a softer resin. I ended up using my homemade chisel with a 15mm carbide radius cutter. It worked pretty good. I still need to turn a wood handle for the chisel.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
For some reason, the plunger on the gunmetal pen is lower than the chrome pen, and the refill tip protrudes farther. It is functional, and there's nothing I can do about it in any case.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Two things you brought up

1. Clip position like your answer to the side of the clip I always try to do that.

The tip protudes too far can be corrected I have read previously somewhere sorry my memory is not strong enough one of those I must write it down moments.

Opportune to find suitable blanks and so well done to overcome the brittle features of the blanks I felt for you as I viewed the pics mate.

The finishing touches of the felt pouches.............wonderful.

All up two great presentation pens.

Peter.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I don't turn brittle blanks if I can avoid them. But in this case, I had no choice since I wanted the embedded crosses. The 15mm carbide cutter worked much better than my smaller carbide chisel. So I'll use it on brittle blanks from now on.

clement

Graduate Member
First Name
Clement
For some reason, the plunger on the gunmetal pen is lower than the chrome pen, and the refill tip protrudes farther. It is functional, and there's nothing I can do about it in any case.

I had the same problem sometimes, I realise that in fact the plastic cap from the refill was'nt slide completly over the refill. I push it a little more and the problem was solved... hope it helps :thinks:

By the way, the pens are beautyfull :thumbs:

Ratty

First Name
David
Looks like a lot of work went into getting the finished pens from those blanks.
Great result though.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).