• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Walnut bowl

Paul

Fellow
Some times when sanding Phill you get to the higher grade grits a light ring will appear as the higher grits begin to polish the wood the reason the rings appear is because some parts of the wood isn't as smooth or polished as others some of the fibres are a fraction lower and wont polish up like the higher fibres I'm sure some one will come up with a technical term for it when this happens it is time to go back a few grits to something a bit more aggressive and remove more wood don't continue with the same grit as it will take forever and build up a lot of heat
Thats my humble attempt to explain it

Cheers Woody - as technical as I need! (perhaps I should have said practical ;-) ) This reallyhelps and I'll look out for rings and go back down again etc. Cheers legend.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).