• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Walter's Woodturning Mag Articles

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Lots of very good information by the look of it Walter, it's very generous of you to share it. Thanks very much.

Can I ask, do double or triple start taps and dies require very much more force than standard ones to get them to cut? I suppose threading plastic is easy enough but are your metal pens a challenge to cut? I only normally use metric coarse taps and dies but find anything above M8 a bit of a chore cutting stainless steel.

Sorry William, I don't log in here very often these days so I missed your post. If you need to ask me anything it is probably best to PM me or e-mail me via the contact page on my website. To be honest I do not find there to be a material difference in the effort required with triple start taps and dies. Logic suggests that there must be but if there is it did not bother me. I am however not cutting threads in stainless steel, mostly aluminium, brass or acrylic.

Take a look at Skiprats site, you will not only see the best pens you ever saw but you should find the tut that Mark mentions in there.
http://www.skiprat-pens.com/Index.php

Skiprat's metalworking skills are in a different league to mine and I admire not only his skills but his willingness to share his knowledge. However the tutorial Mark refers to is related to thread cutting on a metal working lathe. Like most other mere mortals I just use taps and dies on a woodturning lathe.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).