• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Was given this wood today

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Damn Spellchecker :funny::funny:

Of course I typed Bob... sorry bob for calling you Neil. Or should that be sorry Neil for calling you Bob? :nooidea:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I haven't heard of that wood so will do some research.

Bob,

Its often called Indian Rosewood, but dont confuse it with (East) Indian Rosewood, Dalbergia latifolia which tends to be much darker. When grown in Java or Indonesia as plantations trees its called Sonokelling Rosewood (E Indian Rosewood) and can have vivid streaks of purple and yellow.

The Dalbergia Sissoo sapwod is also used as pallet wood. A friend of mine imports metal pan ceiling tiles and ceiling access panels from a fabricator in India and two years ago opened up the container and found that the termites had been at work during the transit and the entire container had a layer of dust about two centimeters deep. Door was rapidly closed and the container contents subsequently sprayed. Sissoo is vulnerable to attack by one particular borer which makes short work of the sapwood.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the id Guys, Much appreciated. I'm playing golf with the donor of the wood tomorrow and I'm going to give him a pen from it so you never know!:thumbs:

BTW Paul, you're just digging a bigger hole for yourself:funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).