• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What a strange year this is...

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Yesterday was the 25th October, and I spent three hours in a field metal detecting - in my shirt-sleeves! During that same time my son was on Maidstone bridge taking a break from work - and was besieged by a cloud of ladybirds! Down this way it was unbelievably mild, no breezes, no clouds and full sun - and had all the feelings of being a lovely early summer's day. Are we set for another mild winter? I hope so!!!

Bob.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Well you live and learn! Apparently my son's experience with the horde of ladybirds is not unique. When I mentioned this to friends today they all claim to have witnessed the same thing, either in the park or their gardens. Intrigued, I went on the Internet and discovered that ladybirds typically hibernate over winter, and very often swarm-up to do so. They then head off to the place where they were born. If it's your house then you could be in trouble as these things are a bugger to get rid of! I've hung a sign on my greenhouse - "Ladybirds welcome here - free board and lodging provided!" This'll shake up all those bloody greenfly!

Bob.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
and its not just where you are up there we have them down here I the S of France but they are babies!! and our temperatures are 0 at night up to 25 daytime!! :rolling:

PG

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Hmmmmm. Must be that North South divide again. 12c degree C in Manchester yesterday and not much better today :rolling:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Yesterday was the 25th October, and I spent three hours in a field metal detecting - in my shirt-sleeves! During that same time my son was on Maidstone bridge taking a break from work - and was besieged by a cloud of ladybirds! Down this way it was unbelievably mild, no breezes, no clouds and full sun - and had all the feelings of being a lovely early summer's day. Are we set for another mild winter? I hope so!!!

Bob.

I spent 9 hrs out side in shirt sleeves, they say it will be a bit warmer tomorrow 40°C:tongue::tongue:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).