• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What can I cast in?

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Don

Sorry about not answering sooner, I cast 3 blanks for the first time last week, wasted one because I didn't take enough care with the weighing out of the catalyst,I've since gotten my self a calibrated syringe to get this right, it's surprising how quickly the resin turns from a beautiful pearlescent mix to a thick sticky jelly that is to all intents and purposed useless.

I had it in mind to do a step by step, but like the old aged child that I really am I wanted to do it straight away so no pics, there will be next time though, maybe even a YouTube video.

Here are a couple of poor quality pics of the finished pens, the photo doesn't do the pen finish justice, they really are like glass.

I think the learning points are
1) Take your time and prepare every thing and I mean every thing before you take the lids off the resin and catalyst.
2) Take your time and prepare every thing and I mean every thing before you take the lids off the resin and catalyst.:rolling:
016.jpg 015.jpg

Regards
Kevin

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Here are a couple of poor quality pics of the finished pens, the photo doesn't do the pen finish justice, they really are like glass

Nothing wrong with the photos, except the background and a sheet of white paper will fix that :thumbs:
And the blanks look great as well :banana:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Great stuff there Kevin. They look really good.
I think this is a great result for a first time cast. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
I can't wait to get started.
Don W

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Sorry Kevin, but they dont work for me. The tubes need to be painted as you have a very translucent material and the shape is somewhat impractical. Really good for a first bash at the plastic, more than I've done to date. Sorry if this appears blunt or rude, certainly not a viewpoint you wanted to read, but I believe in writing exactly what I think regardless if its what the person wants to read, its important to get a balanced perspective, both good and bad.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
You've done a fantastic job there with the resin ,it certainly does look good. :thumbs:

I'm not sure about the shape of the pen though but that's my opinion and many many people will love it.

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Neil, Paul

I'm convinced that I replied to this thread about 3 evenings ago, never mind.
I completely agreed with the shortcoming in the pens, they were 2 kits that I had lying around, I'm not a fan of the straight up and down slim line effort, I like some shape, so I wanted to see where the 'waist' would look the best, I prefer the waist to be a bit higher up on the pen but probably not with so much thickness to it for the next one.
I have to say that I really enjoyed this from start to finish, If I can get some lights rigged up I'm going to try a YouTube video from start to finish, hopefully this week end

I'll let you know how it goes, you never know there might even be a hyperlink attached.

Regards
Kevin

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).