• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What Do I Do?

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
What Do I Do?

I am making this bracket for my lathe, I need to tap a 4mm hole. the long tap is a starter tap from a 40 pce set, the short tap is the plug tap from a 3 pce set.

How can I thread it deeper with out buying a long tap for this one of job?

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I'm not very mechanically minded Mark, is there any way you could cut that thread longer? :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Use drill attachment as Woody suggests should work. Go to the engineering place they should have one to help you out. take out the cross bar in the tap holder and insert it one half at a time.

Peter.

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
I'm assuming that only one half needs the thread - can't you cut the corner off the opposite side and thread it from the bottom as it were - the tap looks plenty long enough to do that? If you're worried about the thread going into the other half, just drill that a fraction bigger than the tap??

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
That's why I'm suggesting you tap from the back of the hole as the thread only needs to be in one side? a bit like this sketch....the tap section looks long enough on the photo
Capture.PNG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
If space or grip is a problem I have taken off the cross bar on the tap holder and machined it down. IMHO the solution Stewart has given solves the problem. There is nothing to stop you Mark from drilling straight through and simply bolting the unit holding the nut from the other end with a spring washer and or double nut it. This vworks for me.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).