• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What finish is being used in this video

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Hi all

Just watched this Video and was curious as to what finish is being used.

Looking at the colour and consistency it's a friction polish but she mixed it from two bottles and the finish she got looked more like a CA finish to friction polish.

It's seen at about 5 minutes 50 seconds

Anyone know what she is using

Thanks

Paul

SorinS

First Name
Sorin
Hi all

Just watched this Video and was curious as to what finish is being used.

Looking at the colour and consistency it's a friction polish but she mixed it from two bottles and the finish she got looked more like a CA finish to friction polish.

It's seen at about 5 minutes 50 seconds

Anyone know what she is using

Thanks

Paul
Is beeswax!

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Another very interesting video, she kept well clear of the bushes I noticed šŸ˜Ž
As to the finish, possibly some form of resin? I have been using a wipe on poly which you can add a hardener to, but that was a very quick gloss finish almost like a friction polish.... I'm intrigued nowšŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
It certainly looks like friction polish, and it definitely behaves like friction polish. Possibly shellac dissolved in some kind of alcohol in one bottle, and beeswax dissolved in something like ethanol in the other. Although why it isn't already mixed in one bottle is intriguing - unless it's just a little gimmick for the camera.