• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What I have been up to

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Every thing has come to a stop except the cross. My bandsaw blade went bang half way through cutting the backs off.

Attachments

• 2014-10-16 002 002.jpg
    2014-10-16 002 002.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 32

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I managed to get a little more done after the blade breaking. I sanded the cut outer edges of the cross and drilled all the holes ready for the scroll saw and double checked my marking out for the clock, I know it looks a mess but I understand which circle is for what. Lastly drilled out the hole for the clock and did a test fit.
Tomorrow should have all the scrollwork done.

Attachments

• 2014-10-16 003 002.jpg
    2014-10-16 003 002.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 2014-10-16 003 004.jpg
    2014-10-16 003 004.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 30

Lainey

First Name
Elaine
I'm really enjoying watching your work Derek, I look forward to more pictures and seeing the finished article . I spent quite a while watching the other projects you gave the link to . The rocking horse was just amazing ! Sorry to hear about the bandsaw , hope you get it sorted soon !
Lainey

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you all. Well the bandsaw will not get the blade for at least a week. I still can use the bandsaw as I have larger blades but for the boxes I have got to have the smaller one.
But I have been able to do some more to the cross. Today I took a couple of hours (I,m a bit slow with the scrollsaw) cutting out the holes and the spent a couple (mind you there was at least three cuppa's in that time) more sanding any bits on the inside but most of that was working on the outside taking some of the sharp edges off.
First picture after all the work second is just a pre-view with the clock in place. Will start the stand tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2014-10-17 001 001.jpg
    2014-10-17 001 001.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 2014-10-17 001 011.jpg
    2014-10-17 001 011.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 23

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The cross is fantastic:thumbs: Tell the lady it is for, that everyday should be a reminder of Christ, because he died for us, at 9.15 every morning and every evening.

Sorry:bwink:

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well that is something to aspire too Derek. Very nice indeed. :thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well done Derek, the cross is a beauty.

Now Question No 3,

How do you sand the bits on the inside?
By using that Spanish bloke Manual Labour or do you have an easier way?

The inside edges don't need a lot as the blade leaves it quite smooth just where I stopped and restarted a cut. But I used some diamond needle files and pieces of thin wood with sandpaper attached. As I said most of the work with sanding was to just round over or knock off the edges.

The cross is fantastic:thumbs: Tell the lady it is for, that everyday should be a reminder of Christ, because he died for us, at 9.15 every morning and every evening.

Sorry:bwink:

Peter

Not bad but it is 10:15. As I said it can be called "Time to pray2 or another is "Thank you for our daily bread" as this is made from a recycled bread board:funny::funny::funny:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Amazing work Derek, loving looking at the pictures of the bits you are doing, it all looks great now so it will look fantastic when all is finished! :thumbs:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
The inside edges don't need a lot as the blade leaves it quite smooth just where I stopped and restarted a cut. But I used some diamond needle files and pieces of thin wood with sandpaper attached. As I said most of the work with sanding was to just round over or knock off the edges.

:

Guess that mean I need more practice :funny::funny:

What size of bandsaw do you use?
What size blades do you use?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thanks to all of you for the comments. Nothing to show as the base is made and it is hanging with the first coat of oil on it. I will take some more photo's once it has dried

Guess that mean I need more practice :funny::funny:

What size of bandsaw do you use?
What size blades do you use?

The bandsaw can cut 180mm deep and a board width of 300mm without the fence. That is what I am using for the boxes. for the cross I used a scrollsaw with a fine toothed blade

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
what size blade Derek?

i may have one here...or can come use my BS if u want

Steve

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
what size blade Derek?

i may have one here...or can come use my BS if u want

Steve

Thanks for the offer Steve I have some other things I can do it was just annoying that it went half way through a cut.

I still have Bangles to make yet need I say any more also I want to make some rings and ear rings but don't tell Grumpy you know what he is like with that sort of thing:funny::funny::funny:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you all Sorry for late reply.

Anyway the cross is now finished so I have posted it in the SCROLLSAW section

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).