• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What suppliers do people use

justme

Apprentice Member
Pen kits: Turners Retreat, Craft supplies (US) and for Sierra/Exec pens good old Timberbits
Machinery: I don't buy any as wife says NO
Abrasives and glues: Axminster (but they drive me nutz sometimes)

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Pen kits: Turners Retreat, Craft supplies (US) and for Sierra/Exec pens good old Timberbits
Machinery: I don't buy any as wife says NO
Abrasives and glues: Axminster (but they drive me nutz sometimes)

I wonder if all our women are related. :goesred:

Bluefoxy

I have found Timberbits to be an excellent supplier plus the postage rates from Australia are much cheaper than from the States which is why I don't buy from PSI, much as I would like to.

Ray

Old Corky

I was under the impression that Rockler stores were on the large side. :thinks:

Sorry Brother, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I have never been in the Houston Rockler store. I was referring to their pen turning stock. In the current (June 2013) 140 page catalog there are only two pages relating to Pen turning, #78 with pen kits next to #79 with "Turning" (tools and equipment). Penn State Inc. has a 135 page catalog pages 98% related to pen kits and turning. Woodcraft's catalog has 22 pages of pen kits and tools and supplies.

Old Corky

Pete B

Registered
Hi,
I use axminster for some machinery as their after sales is second to none. I have bought pen kits but they are expensive and a little while ago everything went up and I think the pen kits now are far too expensive. I've bought blanks from there but they are expensive except for the very think range (leopard ski..i know but some people like them) and you can get a few blanks out of them. The alternate horn and tortoiseshell blank I think are good.

Peter hemsby at the toolpost for excellent customer service, a very decent bloke too when i met him. Gave me an awful lot of help and advice when I first started. I bought most of my turning tools from him and I have far too many tools as I am a self confessed tool junkie. Sells the Australian friction polishes.

Simon hope for sanding arbours as I think they are the best. Disks I bought a lot elsewhere but can't remember where. His TC hollowing tools are very good.

Abrasives, ebay wet and dry or basically where ever google tells me they are the cheapest.

I've used snainton before for tools and a lathe good service.

Vince at Turners workshop for blanks only, he has some very good European blanks some the same as Conway stewart use. Blanks are not the cheapest but some are very good. Very nice bloke too.

Stiles and bates sometimes for bowl blanks, sometimes pen blanks as they have a good range.

Pencrafts are very efficient for psi kits but sometimes don't have large stocks.

Merv who has good blanks and has helped me out before.

Tracy tools in Devon very cheap for taps and dies and drill bits in any size. Very good if you need odd size bits that are not easy to find elsewhere and cheap.

PSI but not very often as I prefer craft supplies usa kits but I do agree the shipping costs are too much.

I've bought Joe Schneiders segmented and celtic cross blanks that are very good if like me you don't make your own. Much cheaper direct than from USA shops and cheap postage, he advertises on here now.

Schmidt pen parts Ian Jeffrey the owner is very helpful and knowledgeable for Schimdt workings and refills.

Richard Greenwald for pen parts that are harder to find and some different blanks in proper lengths as well.

Beartooth woods for kits and blanks, very good amalgam mutt blanks and sometimes different acrylics

Penturningz

Timberbits very very good as most know, but I always spend too much as I try to get the better price for 10 or more kits, blanks are good too. Cheap delivery.

Exotic blanks for very good blanks.

Various people I know through ebay for wood blanks and bowl blanks.

Turners retreat

Anything I can rescue from My Mother in Laws farm in Ireland as they burn everything burrs, wytch elm, oak, beech, bog oak you would get upset oh a 200 year old pear tree !! burnt

Indy pen dance, very nice people.

Machine mart sometimes. I bought a drill press there and a grinder and a compressor.

Silver pen parts sometimes

Golden nib for kits sometimes but do razors, very good brushes, different blanks,

Classic nib some times for very different if expensive blanks, good range of ebonite as well. Bought bock nibs before but now use Jowo exclusively as I and many others think they are better or even just the same but much cheaper, but I do sell a few myself though I should point out.

I don't use them all, all the time or even each year and I would really prefer to get everything in the uk but you can't sometimes. But using America is expensive unless you do a very large order then discounts apply. The exception being timberbits who are very good and cheap.

I use the same boxes as Neil, as he very kindly 'showed me the light'.

I buy trustone form a chubby Geordie fellow I know quite well !!

Regards

Pete

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I stole my machinery from a low life scum bag who didn't pay my wages, I am now quite happy about the result as i love the hobby I have from it.
I get my kits from eBay, Vince and Helen plus a friend gave me drawer full.
I get my finishing products from Asda or the local supermarket when I run out of toothpaste or boot polish.
CA from Screwfix or Poundland.
Tools and timber from skips or Gardens

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I stole my machinery from a low life scum bag who didn't pay my wages, I am now quite happy about the result as i love the hobby I have from it.
I get my kits from eBay, Vince and Helen plus a friend gave me drawer full.
I get my finishing products from Asda or the local supermarket when I run out of toothpaste or boot polish.
CA from Screwfix or Poundland.
Tools and timber from skips or Gardens

The mind boggles with you George lol !!!!!:funny::funny::funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Hi,
I use axminster for some machinery as their after sales is second to none. I have bought pen kits but they are expensive and a little while ago everything went up and I think the pen kits now are far too expensive. I've bought blanks from there but they are expensive except for the very think range (leopard ski..i know but some people like them) and you can get a few blanks out of them. The alternate horn and tortoiseshell blank I think are good.

Peter hemsby at the toolpost for excellent customer service, a very decent bloke too when i met him. Gave me an awful lot of help and advice when I first started. I bought most of my turning tools from him and I have far too many tools as I am a self confessed tool junkie. Sells the Australian friction polishes.

Simon hope for sanding arbours as I think they are the best. Disks I bought a lot elsewhere but can't remember where. His TC hollowing tools are very good.

Abrasives, ebay wet and dry or basically where ever google tells me they are the cheapest.

I've used snainton before for tools and a lathe good service.

Vince at Turners workshop for blanks only, he has some very good European blanks some the same as Conway stewart use. Blanks are not the cheapest but some are very good. Very nice bloke too.

Stiles and bates sometimes for bowl blanks, sometimes pen blanks as they have a good range.

Pencrafts are very efficient for psi kits but sometimes don't have large stocks.

Merv who has good blanks and has helped me out before.

Tracy tools in Devon very cheap for taps and dies and drill bits in any size. Very good if you need odd size bits that are not easy to find elsewhere and cheap.

PSI but not very often as I prefer craft supplies usa kits but I do agree the shipping costs are too much.

I've bought Joe Schneiders segmented and celtic cross blanks that are very good if like me you don't make your own. Much cheaper direct than from USA shops and cheap postage, he advertises on here now.

Schmidt pen parts Ian Jeffrey the owner is very helpful and knowledgeable for Schimdt workings and refills.

Richard Greenwald for pen parts that are harder to find and some different blanks in proper lengths as well.

Beartooth woods for kits and blanks, very good amalgam mutt blanks and sometimes different acrylics

Penturningz

Timberbits very very good as most know, but I always spend too much as I try to get the better price for 10 or more kits, blanks are good too. Cheap delivery.

Exotic blanks for very good blanks.

Various people I know through ebay for wood blanks and bowl blanks.

Turners retreat

Anything I can rescue from My Mother in Laws farm in Ireland as they burn everything burrs, wytch elm, oak, beech, bog oak you would get upset oh a 200 year old pear tree !! burnt

Indy pen dance, very nice people.

Machine mart sometimes. I bought a drill press there and a grinder and a compressor.

Silver pen parts sometimes

Golden nib for kits sometimes but do razors, very good brushes, different blanks,

Classic nib some times for very different if expensive blanks, good range of ebonite as well. Bought bock nibs before but now use Jowo exclusively as I and many others think they are better or even just the same but much cheaper, but I do sell a few myself though I should point out.

I don't use them all, all the time or even each year and I would really prefer to get everything in the uk but you can't sometimes. But using America is expensive unless you do a very large order then discounts apply. The exception being timberbits who are very good and cheap.

I use the same boxes as Neil, as he very kindly 'showed me the light'.

I buy trustone form a chubby Geordie fellow I know quite well !!

Regards

Pete

Now that has opened my eyes Pete, i had never heard of half of these guys ... :thumbs:

Joe Schneiders segmented and celtic cross blanks are by far the best i have seen, just wish he was more local ... :down:

Ian

Apprentice Member
Craft Supplies U S A or local ones, 1 is 100 km and the other at the top of the country not a problem with service or delivery .the bad PSI.

Ian

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).