• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

what's this

jaylah

First Name
John
I've had these blanks along with lots more other blanks in open plan shelving for several years. No other blanks are affected, not sure what wood this is, like I said it was several years ago when I purchased these. The only difference I've noticed is these are the only blanks with a slight coat of wax on them, so my questions are:
can anyone tell mewhat wood is it and
what the hell is this fiberglass looking mould,:thinks:
I'm really learning a lot from these forums, thanks to all for their input,:thumbs:

Attachments

• 20160810_163716.jpg
    20160810_163716.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 84
  • 20160810_163641.jpg
    20160810_163641.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160810_163511.jpg
    20160810_163511.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 84

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Wipe them off or wash them make sure you wear a mask then stack them so that air can circulate around them.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
It is not rotting spores, it is a form of surface mold. The blanks possibly were a bit damp when they were initially stored, or they have got damp at some point whilst in storage and have not had enough air circulation. If they were waxed on all surfaces, which they should not be, that would serve to retain the dampness. Just wipe it off and don't worry about it - it's not especially harmful but take the normal respiratory precautions you would take when turning wood in any case. Another time, make sure that your blanks are waxed only on the end grain.

jaylah

First Name
John
It is not rotting spores, it is a form of surface mold. The blanks possibly were a bit damp when they were initially stored, or they have got damp at some point whilst in storage and have not had enough air circulation. If they were waxed on all surfaces, which they should not be, that would serve to retain the dampness. Just wipe it off and don't worry about it - it's not especially harmful but take the normal respiratory precautions you would take when turning wood in any case. Another time, make sure that your blanks are waxed only on the end grain.

Thanks Phil, just strange that none of the other blanks have it even though they were all stored in the same place, I can only imagine it was something to do with the wax
,:rolling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I confess I have seen thousands of waxed all round timbers and not one developed these symptoms. I presume even wax gives up moisture. I bought heaps of big bowl blanks treated this way in view through the wax was the purchase weight (green) and weighed yrs later nearly 50% lighter only thing changed was the water escaped. My mate sends all thousands of pen blanks waxed all round overseas.

Peter.

jaylah

First Name
John
Whatever the blanks are superb mate I would seek out a product to make them safe for you.

Peter.

Yes they look nice when turned I got them from an ebayer in canada in a mixed lot so don't know what they are, would like to find out though,. Yew was suggested but they look different to the yew I have.

jaylah

First Name
John
I confess I have seen thousands of waxed all round timbers and not one developed these symptoms. I presume even wax gives up moisture. I bought heaps of big bowl blanks treated this way in view through the wax was the purchase weight (green) and weighed yrs later nearly 50% lighter only thing changed was the water escaped. My mate sends all thousands of pen blanks waxed all round overseas.

Peter.
Yes I know. ...strange any idea what the wood could be. ? It came from Canada,that's all I know about it

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yes I know. ...strange any idea what the wood could be. ? It came from Canada,that's all I know about it

Maybe Les from Red Deer Canada will see them and know what they are but I tell you what i,d like a pup from most of them enjoy them mate.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).