• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

When things go wrong...

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
The only problem I have had is the ink cartridges will not fit the last one I made had to pop the seal then put it in, that seemed to work for that problem. I would only replace any pen if it's faulty in the manufacture, as I do not know what they have done with it. :thinks:

ArtyCrafty

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nichola
If ever I need to disassemble (for example) a slimline or similar twist pen, I have a thin steel 'drift' that I insert through the twist mechanism and which seats into the pen nib....a quick tap with a hammer and the nib will start to drift out. Once fully out, I use another drift which fits smoothly inside the now exposed brass tube and tap out the twist mechanism...it doesn't take long to do this. I know you can go and buy a pen disassembly tool, but I've never needed to do that.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If ever I need to disassemble (for example) a slimline or similar twist pen, I have a thin steel 'drift' that I insert through the twist mechanism and which seats into the pen nib....a quick tap with a hammer and the nib will start to drift out. Once fully out, I use another drift which fits smoothly inside the now exposed brass tube and tap out the twist mechanism...it doesn't take long to do this. I know you can go and buy a pen disassembly tool, but I've never needed to do that.

As per previous advice a set of transfer punches will enable almost all pen kits to be disassembled not just slimlines, well worth the investment of around £12-£15 and they can be used for other tasks in pen making.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Lee, the most important bit it to ensure that you buy decent quality kits..

That doesn't mean paying silly amounts of money out either. Big money doesn't mean top quality..

The slimline kits can be brought for less than a few pounds, take that for a whole kit and if you have to rob pen kits and use for spares then it's not breaking the bank.

However, the most likely things to fail are the mechanism. (Transmission ) and the clips. As they are the things that get the most punishment. Once you get the hang of disassembly with the transfer punches you will get to understand how easy it is to repair pens if you need too.

It's only when you get in to paying a Higher prices for one off pens that it becomes a problem, what I always do is cover the second pen kit cost in to the original sale along with a profit margin as well.

As Ray said tho, I have only had around 5 or 6 failures and returns in over 15 years of selling pens so I don't envisages you will have many problems. That said, it's a big problem to the customer if it happens to them. Just sort it and make the customer feel you have their best interest at heart.

The most important thing to understand is getting to know the kits you use and also the quality kits.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).