• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

When were FP ink cartridges introduced?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Finished school in 1951 remember in 1939 south of Perth in Western Australia went to a bush school for most of a year the whole school was one teacher kinder to leaving certificate. My Dad had a breakdown in South Australia and sent me my Mum and sister to my aunts those days the train took one week to travel to Perth from SA. Ink was only for the older ones so we used Slates.

My personal experiences with fountain pens leaves me even now with uncertainty memories of ink ruined shirts etc. However they provided a neater script for me.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Wow some of you are so old I bet you remember when the Dead Sea wasn't even sick:funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I apologise for not putting my glasses on when I looked at my pen. It is not a Platignum, it is a Platinum 3776, it was designed in 1978 so it is definitely not one of my school pens. I am really disappointed, it's no wonder I couldn't remember buying ink cartridges for it when I was at school.:goesred:

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I apologise for not putting my glasses on when I looked at my pen. It is not a Platignum, it is a Platinum 3776, it was designed in 1978 so it is definitely not one of my school pens. I am really disappointed, it's no wonder I couldn't remember buying ink cartridges for it when I was at school.:goesred:

Peter
Quite a big difference in quality betwixt the two. I know which I prefer.:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I don't know the difference in quality, I remember falsely or otherwise, that my last school pen was black and was quite sure it was the one I found. I have no memory of buying or receiving the Platinum.

Which would you prefer?

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I don't know the difference in quality, I remember falsely or otherwise, that my last school pen was black and was quite sure it was the one I found. I have no memory of buying or receiving the Platinum.

Which would you prefer?

Peter

Platignum Pen Co was started by Mentmore of London around 1919 and by 1927 had introduced the Platignum brand to the public. By the 1950s they had stopped using solid gold nibs in their Platignum pens, replacing them with plated steel nibs and only using gold nibs in their top brand 'Mentmore' Consequently Platignum became known as a 'third tier' pen and sold as such, generally as a school pen.

Platinum on the other hand started life in Japan in the same year 1919 and have become, along with Pilot and Sailor a top manufacturers of fine writing instruments, some models costing hundreds of pounds ..I think the equivalent to your 3776 is around £100 to buy these days. These pens are not cheap Chinese wonders but top quality Japanese instruments renowned for the quality of their nibs.

So Peter which do you prefer ?

Ed

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
To be honest Ed, I am delighted it is a quality pen, but disappointed it wasn't one of my school pens, for nostalgic reasons. The nib is a Platinum 2-tone and doesn't say it is gold, which is just as well because I can see a slight bit of corrosion so it must be steel.

I do remember buying a Waterman Fountain Pen, but I haven't come across that, although I have come across several Parker FPs and several Parker Ball Points, cheap as chips Parkers were.

I love writing with a FP and I have made quite a lot, but so far I haven't made one for myself, but I am going to change that in the new year.

Thanks for the info Ed, it is much appreciated.

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
To be honest Ed, I am delighted it is a quality pen, but disappointed it wasn't one of my school pens, for nostalgic reasons. The nib is a Platinum 2-tone and doesn't say it is gold, which is just as well because I can see a slight bit of corrosion so it must be steel.

I do remember buying a Waterman Fountain Pen, but I haven't come across that, although I have come across several Parker FPs and several Parker Ball Points, cheap as chips Parkers were.

I love writing with a FP and I have made quite a lot, but so far I haven't made one for myself, but I am going to change that in the new year.

Thanks for the info Ed, it is much appreciated.

Peter

Peter if you intend to use your own made pen on a regular basis I recommend that you invest in an upgrade nib like Jowo or Bock, well worth the extra wonga. I think there is someone here on the forums who deal with them but not sure who it is.

Ed

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks Ed, I usually buy Bock to upgrade the FPs I make, I haven't use Jowo, may try one and see.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).