• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Where do you get your sandpaper from

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
First thing I did with mine years ago was make a disk cutter from pipe, graduated to a 50 mm punch then using a plastic cutting board under, on the anvil cut my own disks. My pro turner mate has used thousands of his cut papers this way, uses velcro to sit them on the lathe. How does Mirka paper goI thought the thinness of the paper would wear out the gripping power real quick. Five packs of that paper and cut it into strips the fluffy back easier on the hands but with the thousands of holes that go through the the backing and paper the velcro grab on the disk carrier scrubs out.

Peter.

Its not paper its a heavy duty cloth open weave you have to cut it with scissors mind you I buy it by the metre length.

PG

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
For a few pound more than the Axminster one I would buy the Simon Hope system I have it and it is great

I use the Hope pads with Rhyno-Grip Plusline abrasive and a cordless drill. I dont bother cutting circles I just use squares, the corner bits help get into awkward curves and corners. (That's not a bowl by the way, it is the base for a desk pen):

IMG_2790.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).