• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which bandsaw blade for acrylic blanks

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
After busting my bandsaw blade which incidentally used to cut my acrylic blanks a treat I went ahead and order what I thought was the same type blade (6 tpi x 1/4 in) off the internet. Turns out I ordered something that lumberjacks use for cutting down giant redwoods ! It looks more like a rip saw than a bandsaw blade and although it is a 6 tpi x 1/4 inch the teeth look so much bigger, its much wider too, my old blade being 0.39 mm and this ogre being 0.61 mm ! The photo shows the wavy line effect that I am now getting. So which blade do you recommend for cutting acrylic blanks ? My little band saw will only take 1/4 in or 3/8 blades.
Second pic shows old blade left ,new blade right.

P1030394.jpgP1030393.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Actually Ed the deep flutes are better as they will carry the dust away better on thick wood it is a 6TPI but to get a better finish on plastics and thin wood I would go for a 14TPI if your only cutting pen blanks

Jim

Grand Master
Any of the two will do the job Ed, each manufacturer to his own i guess .. :thinks:

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Phone Ian at Tuffsaws, he'll put you right

I agree with Keith, ask Ian for a skip tooth blade in M24 to match your band saw blade length and width and use it both for acrylic and wood. I use one for re-sawing planks for jewellery boxes; they save me on wood because I have such a minimal pass on the re-sawn piece.

For those who don't know re-sawing is when you create a thick plank through the planer thicknesser such that you can now cut it in half along its vertical width and make 2 planks of the same width and other dimensions and make 2 jewellery boxes instead of one!

PG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
That blade is a mean mother Ed certainly aggressive, it seems to have a large set on it wider than I have ever seen. Not knowing what saw size etc from here I would say back to the Tuffsaw makers for advice then purchase.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good use of your saw but only if the teeth set is upright to forward. I prefer to use the bandsaw. Glad it worked OK for you Mark.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I used my bandsaw to cut some alloy bar and it worked fine. Second time round it wouldn't touch it although it still works on wood, just about. Think I need to get a HSS blade for alloy.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).