• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which Lathe

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Looking for peoples opinions here.

Which lathe should I upgrade to? Yes I know the best I can afford. And the question will bring our the Brand war

It has to go in a shed, so I am going to put a couple of planks down at right angles to the floorboards to spread the weight.

I'm down to a choice of two:

The Axminster AT1628VS which is right at the top of my spend limit

Or

The Record Power CL4 Professional Electronic Variable Speed Lathe

Has anybody used both and have a preference?
:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Glad our lathe prices and choices are so different over here. You have from Terry who has owned both his respected opinion I would follow.

Peter.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Whilst I wouldn't buy anything with the Axminster brand on it a mate has bought a new Record & had several problems with it, eventually having to send it back, though they did sort all the problems out in the end it didn't fill me with confidence re their revamped range.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
There is a third way Chas. I'm sure you've probably considered it already. It doesn't have as long a capacity as the Axi, although you can get a bed extension for it and the swing over bed is not as big either, but if you can cope with those two aspects the Jet 1221vs would be better quality than the Axi and would make the Record seem like scrap metal. Of the two you mentioned though, the Axi will be far, far, far superior to the Record, for so many reasons.

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
I hope the 1221VS has a better motor/PCB than Jet's 1015VS, mines currently back with Axminster for an unrelated problem for which they were going to replace the entire unit. Until they turned around and told me they've quarantined their entire stock of 200 of them due to motor/PCB issues which Jet have not given them an answer on since May.

Might be back in the market myself depending on the outcome in a couple of weeks. :rolling:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I hope the 1221VS has a better motor/PCB than Jet's 1015VS, mines currently back with Axminster for an unrelated problem for which they were going to replace the entire unit. Until they turned around and told me they've quarantined their entire stock of 200 of them due to motor/PCB issues which Jet have not given them an answer on since May.

Might be back in the market myself depending on the outcome in a couple of weeks. :rolling:
Mine too, and me too, but I know of at least two people who have recently bought a 1221vs and they have nothing but good things to say.

Jim

Grand Master
Of the two, the attractiveness of the Axminster does it for me Chas .. :winking:

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
the Axi every time Chas I had a Cl1 and the bed bars are crap anything that is slightly out of balance make the lathe vibrate any thing thats well out of balance and it will try to escape the shed

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
On so many videos I see operators touching their machines and they rock or move, are settled on unstable bases. It feels great to turn on a well mounted lathe.

Peter.

Bigbud

First Name
James
Ive got the CL4 and to be honest I'd love to change for a lathe with a cast iron bed, its a great lathe but the bars transfer vibrations without doubt. Mine is also one of the last lathes made in Sheffield, quality supposedly slipped after that as they were fabricated in china.

I'd love a VB36 but i'd need to remortgage xD

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).