• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I'm fairly new to woodturning, and although I have a fair number of woodturning tools, I've been sticking with the removable carbide tipped tools, as I'm no good at sharpening normal woodturning chisels. I'd like to be able to use, and sharpen, chisels like a 'proper' woodturner! :sob:

So, I'm looking for a foolproof sharpening solution. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest solution, but a cost effective solution would be nice. I've looked at things like the Pro Edge and Tormek systems, and I'm happy to buy one of them if they really are worth the cost. But if there's a more cost effective solution, please let me know. I'm not a DIY buff, so not great at creating my own jigs, or widgets, etc, so I'd prefer to buy most of the components, unless it's something super straightforward.

Any suggestions?

iandel

First Name
Ian
I use a Tormek and it is a super bit of kit. A friend of mine has the ProEdge and he rates that highly as well and prefers it to my system. I think the ProEdge is faster for re-profiling faster than the Tormek but as I am not re-profiling anything on a regular basis I prefer the slow satisfying almost tranquil action of the Tormek. It really is horses for courses and I am sure others will disagree.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I think you need to ask yourself will it be just turning tools that you would wish to sharpen. As some machine although very good will linit you to what can be sharpened

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Thanks guys!

I think you need to ask yourself will it be just turning tools that you would wish to sharpen. As some machine although very good will linit you to what can be sharpened

Yes, only turning tools, I can't think of anything else I'd use it for. And I guess it would probably mostly be spindle gouges...

I do already have a cheap Axminster grinder (the type with the white wheel), so if that can be upgraded somehow, that would be great, but if it's going to be a compromise I'm happy to buy a whole new system.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thanks guys!

Yes, only turning tools, I can't think of anything else I'd use it for. And I guess it would probably mostly be spindle gouges...

I do already have a cheap Axminster grinder (the type with the white wheel), so if that can be upgraded somehow, that would be great, but if it's going to be a compromise I'm happy to buy a whole new system.

I have a 6" record grinder and use THIS on mine and find it great and easy to use. If you feel that you want to go the route of the Sorby Pro edge the attachments are the same as used on that.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
The members of this forum convinced me to go with Pro edge, so I did, bought one from Oliver's Woodturning, a super buy, very sharp tools quick and easy. I recommend Pro edge every time. :thumbs::thumbs:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
All roads lead to ProEdge in the end Melanie. You may as well go there first as soon as last in my opinion. Quick, easy, repeatable, verstaile, well built, reliable, small footprint, not drug money to buy. Can you detect I like my ProEdge?

I always have one eye on the clock in my workshop, and the only thing that prevents me from having two of them (one for fingernail profiles and one for traditional profiles/flatwork) to save me a few seconds in the changeover, is a lack of space.

If mine went wrong today, I would replace it with another in a heartbeat.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
The Pro Edge Melanie great bit of kit and wonderful when you have little room because of its small footprint., consumables are reasonably priced too, although I use little other than the two ceramic belts, mostly 120 grit, 60 grit if you want to take a bit more off.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I have the Tormek system Mel and it does a great job. I brought this a few years back before the Pro Edge came out. Will I replace the Tormek with another one if and when it goes knack :thinks: The answer to that is simples --- No way :rolling: Get yourself a Pro Edge Mel :thumbs:

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I also have a ProEdge and rate it highly. Tool sharpening is something of a mysterious black art as far as I am concerned, but this super bit of kit takes all the mystery out of it. The ProEdge is quick and easy to use and can also be used for squaring off the ends of pen blanks before turning them.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have never met a proedge face to face but will now, I do have instant success with double ended 8 inch grinders, they are and have been so versatile for me. I have no idea where Tyne and Wear is Melanie but if you can have a one to one visit with someone first that can use a variety of sharpening methods it would help you a great deal. If money is ok go for the best and easiest.

Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Melanie

Pro-edge for me when it comes to turning tools and speed but I find the Tormek gives a nicer edge to bench chisels planes and carving tools.

I have both, (the Tormek is a T7) and if you want to compare one against the other side by side I'm not that far from you.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Wow, thanks everyone, it seems quite conclusive for the Pro Edge, I'll have to start saving my pennies!

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I did own a Tormek years ago but about a year ago purchased a Proedge, Its definitely another vote for the Proedge from me :thumbs:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
it seems quite conclusive for the Pro Edge

The Pro-Edge would be my choice if I was setting out to buy a new system from scratch. My existing system which has evolved over time is a bench grinder with a CBN wheel and Tormek bench grinder jig and a record Power wet grinder similar to the Tormek which uses the same jigs. Most of the time I use the bench grinder for my turning tools only rarely using the wet grinder which is used mainly for my plane irons and woodworking chisels. A pro-edge would be fine for both and involve fewer machines and less expense.

Grasbylee

First Name
Lee
Melanie

I have a Axminster grinder and a jig set up I got from a guy in Cornwall via eBay. He makes them out of steel and you can pick them up for about £60. There is a plate for skews and roughing gouges and a fingernail jig for bowl and spindle gouges. I bought this when new to turning last year, it doesn't take much practice to get a good edge on your tools and is a good stop gap until you can afford a proedge - that's what I'm saving for ?.

Search for this on eBay
gouge chisel sharpening tool for woodturning,gouge+fingernail+ tool rest

Cheers
Lee

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).