• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Why no Pens Have Been Turned

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
The reg on undground cable is some thing u need to be careful of but also if you are taking a feed off a existing cu then u should get a sparkey to help as you will need to isolate the feed supply to the house

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
The reg on undground cable is some thing u need to be careful of but also if you are taking a feed off a existing cu then u should get a sparkey to help as you will need to isolate the feed supply to the house

Exactly and if you clip the mains cable you have to clip a minimum of every 9 inches on the horizontal run and if you go overhead and use a strainer cable to support the mains cable the the strainer cable has to be earthed and the mains cable supported every 9 inches!!!! and we are only scratching the surface !!!!

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Also you should electrical test everything thing and make sure it is all ok but the world of electrical is big and also anothe thing to consider is if u want to wire using conduct but it a mine field out there

trapper

Registered
My advice is to run your ring mains first lights and sockets then install the consumer box sounds like a two way would suffice .......on "trip" for the sockets and one for the lights.......... might be an idea to have space for a cooker feed incase you ever want to put heating or an oven in there. One note of caution if you aint qualified and a problem happens you may NOT be insured. Letme know what you intend to install an i'll send you a layout diagram.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I think Alex was just showing Frankie a diagram of a CU Terry, not showing how to do it ... :ciggrin:
Maybe Jim and I'm sorry for the rant but I've been electrocuted quite a few times in my life due to dodgy practices and I would hate anybody on this forum to attempt something they are not comfortable with and also be electrocuted.
I won't say anymore on the subject and let's get back to turning and banter!!!

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Alex is being very helpful Terry is being very sensible I will get a spark to check it and advise me just need to get pally with a spark now:thumbs:
Thanks for all the help trapper I may take you up on that need to layout the shed first thanks again Frankie.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Sorry to bang on, but we haven't mentioned earth bonding yet. It really is a minefield ...

Oh, and if you don't get it signed off by a Part P certified sparky don't even think about selling the house ... Which reminds me, I need my sparky mate to come and certify mine! Costs him (and therefore me) £130 just to lodge the paperwork! :goesred: somebody is getting rich off this!

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
My advice is to run your ring mains first lights and sockets then install the consumer box sounds like a two way would suffice .......on "trip" for the sockets and one for the lights..........

Might be easier to use a 16A spur rather than ring mains. 2-way CUs usually come loaded with 16/6 breakers ...

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I would say just run a feed from the main house cu to the shed then put a cu there make sure you safely isolate the circuit when workibg on it as you will need to isolate it at the main feed from the cu

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
DSC00805.JPG Got a bit done no electric yet,But i put the table saw in don't cut big stuff so its on the side it pulls out a bit to work with a sled is there any way to make these saws quieter its really loudDSC00806.JPG .

Jim

Grand Master
Nice to see it is coming on Frankie ... You have put some hard work in my friend ...:bwink:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I have Jim I just need to learn to keep it orginized and tidy all the time, so I dont have to spend more time looking for things than actualy doing anything :funny:

Jim

Grand Master
There should be an auto resizer? What is the image ..jpg, gif etc :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).