• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wood blanks

Adal6

First Name
Alan
Hello all

is there any types of wood that members would not turn eg. to light or has not got a lot of grain. Some of the blanks I have have not got a lot of grain eg ash and beach. or is it just the luck of the draw

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I use just about ant timber. If the timber hasn’t much grain you could stain it using chestnut stains which look good when polished. You can buy a pack of mixed colours which comes in small bottles. You can use more than one colour and blend them in.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Wood is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get...but simple woods can be enhanced by adding colour or burnishing lines...Alan is a master at segmenting which also adds interest as do Celtic knots....
In short I ll turn most woods and see what I get, but prefer spalted or highly figured woods for interest 🤔